What's new

Best and Worst of the year from Gamespot (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I sure hope that GTA 3 makes it to the Xbox in good shape...& quickly. Can't wait for that one.
I'm suprised that Halo did not win in the Sound category.
They also nomitated Max Payne on Xbox for graphics, but not Halo?
Anywho, props to Sega for the win in the sports category and PS2 for getting 6 of the top 10 overall games.
Merry Christmas.
santasmile.gif

-Dan B

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
In passing over Halo for best sound, I have to assume that they weren't playing these games on a 5.1 sound system. Surround is nice, but it just can't compare to hearing an enemy back and to the left, then whipping around to nail 'em.

-Dave

Ike

Screenwriter
More interesting is that Serious Sam took top honors for PC game. Boy, that's odd...

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
It's going to take awhile for the audio side of gaming to really be taken seriously. So many gamers just have basic setups really. Just look at the number of reviews that gloss over or don't even mention things that people here would be jumping up and down about. Not mentioning 16:9 capability or 5.1 soundtracks on the back of Xbox packaging is another aspect of it. They aren't even trying to market these things properly.

It's unfortunate, and I can't wait for it to change or to find some decent reviewers that have somewhat higher end gear. I wanna know how Halo looks and sounds on a 16:9 system with component connections and a 5.1 setup. Not the 32" set someones had for five years hooked up with RCA jacks or maybe S-video and TV speakers.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree Chris! I think we HTF'ers need to get in the habit of posting reviews - I trust our opinions more than someone reviewing on a 20 inch tv in a cubicle :)
...and Serious Sam was reaaallly fun. I can't wait for the 2nd mission.
-Dave

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I have a (slightly used) copy of Kabuki Warriors for trade. Will take a half-finished can of cola, or a Duracell "C" battery with at least a 30% charge left on it.
Seriously, after reading the review of this on Gamespot I knew it was going to be a clunker, but it actually got the Worst Game of the Year... Ouch!
Hope none of you got stuck with it. :)

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Dare I ask how you managed to obtain Kabuki Warriors? The first I heard about it was the review on Gamespot.
Hey, at least you didn't buy Survivor "The Interactive Game" :D

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Oh, I was just being facetious, Jason, I don't really have the game. I've been reading about it for a while, so I can't say that I am shocked that the idea of a mock-fighting game made up of dancers bombed the way it did. After all, you don't see West Side Story the Game, do you? :)
I'm just surprised to see just how awful it seems to have turned out, that's all!
As for Survivor, once I realized I couldn't get Jenna to do whatever I wanted, I knew the game wasn't for me... :D

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I hear the robust online community for Survivor has a new mod where you can make Jenna a little more "free" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks