Best analog, flat screen, 36" TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Oct 2, 2002.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

The budget has come in and it appears my upgrade will be an Analog 36" set. The jump to HDTV will wait 5 years.

There are many nice 36" flat screen TV's out there. I don't really care about features like PIP and sound. I want a set that gives a nice picture for cable/VCR and has a nice 16x9 squeeze mode for DVD's. My DVD player has only S-Video and composite out so I don't care about component inputs at this time, but will get it anyway.

So, will it be the Toshiba? Sony WEGA? Philips? Panasonic? So many brands... My wife likes Sony so it always has the edge for her. I tend to be fond of Toshiba's for some reason. Budget is setting right around $1200....and no, I won't add the extra $300 to go get a bargain HDTV set. Once they are cheaper and better and standardized in many years then I'll think about them.

2. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

My very non-technical answer is that I love my year-old 36" Toshiba and I picked it up for $100 less than the Sony that had one less S-video jack on it.

Scott

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

David,
    What type of squeeze mode do you want? Do you want a one touch of the remote user level type option or just want the ability to go into the service mode and squeeze the raster via one of the service menu parameters? Very few non-HDTV sets offer the 16:9 compression/squeeze feature as a user level option. The only one I can think of is Sony and it has been a big selling point for them I believe. If you really want a simple squeeze option and want a non-Sony then you may want to add the $300 to the budget [​IMG] If the squeeze option isn't that big a deal then I'd look at the Panasonic, JVC and Toshiba flat tube non-HDTV-ready sets.
    cheers,
    --tom

4. David Sorenson

The enhanced 16x9 mode is a must. It does appear that sony is one of the only companies to put that featuer in a non-HD set. Their new line this year is wider than last year and won't fit in my entertainment center so I must find an older one.

5. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

Well, I know Samsung offers the squeeze feature on their analog sets but, unfortunately, the biggest flat screen they make is 32".

6. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Watch out, even most HDTV 4x3 sets won't squeeze 480p. The panasonics (other than the HL version from what I've read) only squeeze 1080i.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Given the price of most 36-inch "flatscreen" models, I don't see why you are not considering making the jump to ATSC-based technology now. You can find 32- and 27-inch ATSC-based sets now that are well within your budget. Further, given how cheap DVD players have become, you might also spring for a decent player with component-video out.

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

If the squeeze is a must then I agree with Jack. If may be worth it to look at the 32 inch HDTV-ready sets. The Toshiba 32HF72/32HFX72 and the Samsung 32 inch model both do the squeeze/compression option for 480i/p 16:9 material. I have not personally verified this but others I believe have. Since I don't have any HDTV sources, this is their main selling point from my point of view. I've decided to stick with the 27 inch analog set for the moment but I think if I had a budget of ~$1200, I'd not spend it on an analog flatscreen but rather get an HDTV-ready 32 inch set.

cheers,

--tom

9. David Sorenson

Well, my 36" joy bubble has been burst. My cabinet would hold a 36" set but I can't find one that has the 16x9 mode that is narrow enough for the doors to close. I forgot about those stupid hinges on the back...ARG!

So I'm now down to a 32" set. Most people here say that's a good thing.

Everyone says go get an HDTV. Why? I have no progressive scan DVD player and I don't plan on getting one soon. My cable doesn't have any digital channels now and who knows whne they will. Most TV networks have filed for extensions on the 2006 deadline so I really doubt analog will be dead then. HDTV sets cost more and most have really crappy downsampling of analog signals, especially when the signal is not that great ot begin with. If I get an HDTV "Ready" set now I'll still have to buy a digital box to get the channels. There is no standard yet so a lot could and will change before HDTV becomes the standard. Also in 5 years the Digital sets will be cheaper, better, and have more cool features than the sets do now.

So I'd have to spend more than my budget to get the TV, more again to get a service agreement, more again for a new DVD player, and who knows what else down the line to make it work. All I want is to get rid of the DVD line loss in 4x3 mode which is driving me crazy.

In 5 years we'll probably have HD DVD players too so why get a new one now?

Ok, you've read my rant, so go ahead and give me your opinions.

10. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

I love my 36" Wega. It has the squeeze and a beautiful picture. And it fits in our entertainment center like a glove. I have about 1/4" on each side, if that.

11. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Well I was in the same predicament and went with a panasonic 36sx12, no squeeze but looks great and can be had for a great price.

12. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

The JVC I'art flat screens have the 16:9 compression mode on the remote. The 32" is the av32f703. That was a big selling point for me to have that feature. They have it at Circuit City for $750. It also has the ability to disable SVM from the user menu. I bought this T.V. to hold me over for a few years until I get a HDTV also. Good luck in your search.

13. David Sorenson

I'm envious of you Michael. I measured my cabinet at lunch today again and at it has 38.75" between the doors. That would fit a 36" WEGA like spandex, but I forgot about the hinges on the back of the doors. I could get the set in there but the doors couldn't be pulled out to be shut. So close.....

I don't know much about the JVC sets. I'll have to look into them.

As much as I love everyone here, many of you are evil....AFter all my ranting on HDTV, now I'm starting to look at it again. I hate technology...it's a plague!

14. Michael Cook

David,
    My entertainment center is the same measurment. The hinges when I go to shut the doors are above the TV, so they pass right by it! Here is a pic.
    p.s. The "I love Bears" on top of the TV is my wifes, I swear ! [​IMG]
    Pic is loading slow, here is the link incase it takes a while to load: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b.jpg.orig.jpg
    [​IMG]

15. David Sorenson

Nice. I don't think I'm that lucky. I'd have to do some vertical measurements on the TV and the cabinet but I think both of the hinges will hit. I'm 95% certain the top one will.

Sony's new 32" sets, both analog and digital, look really nice. They seem to always be ahead of other manufactures when it comes to TV features.

Now I just need Sears to have a good sale.... they are the only place within an hours drive that has them.

16. Michael Cook

I would measure just to make sure. I never even thought about the hinges hitting my TV, I just got really lucky they didn't hit.

17. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

David,
    Let me add my voice to the chorus of the axis of evil.
    I'd disagree with your statement about ATSC sets having lousy down-conversion of cable and satellite signals. I've heard complaints about Sony on this score, but I've seen wonderful cable pictures on JVC and Toshiba sets. No scan lines, a much more filmlike presentation.
    Also, you don't need a progressive scan DVD player to see a great improvement on DVDs. In fact, on that size of screen you'd probably not even see a difference between interlaced and progressive, especially with good down-conversion.
    If you're spending that kind of money ($1200) you'd get more value out of an ATSC set, IMHO, and you'd continue to get more and more from it as digital broadcasts increase. Kind of, the gift that keeps on giving.
    The value alternative is to get a cheap analog set to tide you over for the next five years.
    Jan

18. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

David, I didn't mean to imply you *had* to get an HDTV-ready set. Given your budget of $1200 plus the facts that you really want a 16:9 compression option + a flat screen, and that the 36 inch models don't seem to fit your space, the HDTV-ready sets seem like a logical alternative. This of course assumes that you don't want to lower your budget and who at this forum ever does that? [​IMG]
    As for your reservations about getting an HDTV-ready set, I understand them since I share some of them - such as lack of source material and uncertainty about what the cable company will do and standards for encrypting HDTV transmissions. My main advantage to such a set would be a bigger picture plus a 480p 16:9 squeezed display of an anamorphic dvd. We currently have a 27 inch analog Toshiba and at the moment, I really don't need my 4:3 material any bigger than what it is but for movies, it would be nicer to have a bigger picture. As mentioned in previous posts, the 34 inch widescreen sets still are better fit for me but so much more $$$.
    As for dvd players, at this point, such an upgrade (to progressive) is a minor commodity purchase. You can now get a decent progressive scan player for

19. David Sorenson

Well it is done. After the 36" proved to be too big I decided to spend the extra $200 and get myself a 32" HDTV. I decided on the Sony 32HV600 as my wife loves Sony and Sony does seem to be in the front of technology, TV wise. Though I won't use all the set's features now, I'm sure I will in the years to come and I'll be happy I splurged. I just hope our cable looks acceptable on the system.

Interesting thing about this set is that Sony's site states the retail price is $1899. Any store states it is $1699. My local Sears had 1 set in stock and I decided to get that one. I lost my 10% off coupon so I instead shopped for a price match, which I found for $1499. Sears beat the difference by 10% giving me the set for $1475. Not bad. I could have had it for $1450 at one store, but higher delivery offset the savings and I've had good luck with Sears here.

Now I just have to get it and hope for the best. If this set has problems I'll be waiting a long time to get another as the port strikes have put these puppies on back order.

I thank everyone for their information and advice. This forum is a godsend for someone who's family tends to shop using Consumers Report.

Next time I buy a TV way down the road it will be a huge flat screen panel set that will hang on the wall. heh.

20. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Michael: