Best amp to use for Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Sloan, May 24, 2001.

1. Robert_Sloan

Robert_Sloan Extra

This may sound like a crazy newbie question to most however it is something I have never dealt with before.
    I am working on building a Shiva/PR15 enclosure and I am wondering which type of amp I should use. I have always purchased my subs prebuilt in the past and have never had to worry about this. Currently I have a Velo HGS-10. Anyway I was considering getting a plate amp through adire however, I heard about people use external stereo amps for this. I have done some prelimenary searches and I cannot find much info on this. I would think that you cannot control crossover or phase on these amps as well as a plate amp speciffically designed for a sub. The only amp I know of for a sub that isn't a plate amp is a sunfire that comes with an NHT sub two.
    So basically my question is what are the other options besides a plate amp and which is better?
    ------------------

2. MichelF

MichelF Extra

Search on the PRO market, for example the Crown K2.
    Michel

3. Robert_Sloan

Robert_Sloan Extra

I was hoping to spend less than 2K for this amp. I was looking at the Hybex Amp through Adire. For 2K I will purchase another Velo HGS and sabotage it for its amp.
    ------------------

4. Ken Lopata

Ken Lopata Agent

New K2's go for 1,250 - 1,300 bucks. Let me know if you need one.
    Ken

5. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Robert,
    I don't have a lot of experience, but I am in the same situation a you. Here is what I'm thinking.
    I'm about ready to test my two Shiva vented subs, hopefully tonight. I will start out using my old Sony Pro Logic receiver. If that is not enough juice, I will also be looking for new amps.
    I have seen the Samson S700 for as low as $360 delivered. That is what SVS offers to power two of their un-powered subs. So it must be at the very least decent. I have had a hard time finding anything else with as much power that doesn't cost way more. The S700 is 350 watts into 4 ohms x2, and 700 bridged.
    You could try used Stereo amps or receivers. The fact that the Shiva has two voice coils allows you to use both channels for one driver. Using both channels from a stereo amp seems to be cheaper than one large monoblock type amp.
    I will use my processor for crossover control. I am however concerned about phase control. The plate amps do have lots of nice features, but I don't want my new babies to be permanently married to their amps. If you find something with all the features of the plate amps, yet is "rack" style, please post about it.
    I believe that Paradigm sells some kind of device that includes a crossover, phase and volume controls. Maybe someone else could explain how they work. If I have bad phase problems I will be looking into them.

6. Robert_Sloan

Robert_Sloan Extra

Shade,
    Keep me informed. I have at least decided this much. I am going to get a plate amp for now and install it in a different box to match my sub box which I should hopefully have finished in about 3 weeks. I wish it was sooner but I am moving into amy new house this weekend and the wife thinks unpacking and arranging furniture is more important than me building more stuff to put in the living room.
    Anyway this way I can change out the amp with relative ease and sell the old amp when I am done with it or even better build another sub and use that amp for the new sub.
    DIY is a dissease that has infected me more than my original home theater diasease. I often wish I could take advantage of my companies rehab program and stay at home for 6 weeks paid while I completly revamp my equipment. That should keep me cured for at least 4-6 months better than most people do out of rehab!
    Back to the point... I have been doing some searches and I am toying with the idea of buying a NHT SubTwo just to get the amp then I can sell a current sub two owner the subs for their stereo sub config. This is the cheapest way I have found to get a good external non blade sub amp.
    ------------------

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    test

8. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

9. Robert_Sloan

Robert_Sloan Extra

Thanks for the link! It worked out very well. I will call them today to check on the NHT Amp pricing.

10. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Robert-
    Let us know what you decide to use and why you went that way. I'm interested if no one else! [​IMG]
    BTW, AudioXpress magazines (www.audioxpress.com , I believe)May and June issues did a sub amp shootout. They tested the AudioSource Amp Three and it did very well. I have heard good things about this amp. For the price it is hard to beat, but it does not include a cross-over/phase control like some of the plate amps do.
    Good luck,
    -Dan
    ------------------
    -Dan M~
    My Small Collection

11. Shade Watson

I've got one sub up and running. I connected one channel from my old Sony Pro Logic receiver (STR-D711) to each voice coil of the Shiva. I have to turn up the volume on the receiver to 12 o'clock to get decent bass response. The problem is that when I have the volume from the main system turned up fairly loud, my Sony receiver will go into protection mode when the heavy bass comes.
    I'll be getting a new amp sooner rather than later I guess. Right now I am looking at the Samson amps. Does anyone think that the S1000's 545 watts into 4 ohms will be too much power for my 142.5L vented Shiva boxes?
    I know that the Shiva's are supposed to be able to handle 600 watts, but wont I have problems with bottoming them out before that?

12. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Shade,
    With that amount of power, I don't think you will have Xmax issues.
    jd
    ------------------

13. Shade Watson

Julian,
    Is "Xmax issues" analogous to "bottoming out"? How much power would it take to bottom out a Shiva in a Vented Box?
    I am using the Adire EBS alignment 142.5L tuned to 18.1Hz.

14. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Shade,
    Yes to your question but keep in mind that the spider, frame and suspension tightens up some so you do have some "leeway".
    Remember it's also dependant on the enclosure. Your EBS is fine.
    ------------------

15. Shade Watson

Thanks for your answers Julian, I still am a little confused though.
    Are you saying that if I decided to buy the Samson S1000 for $439 instead of the Samson S700 for $369, that I would be able to use the extra power without running into Xmax issues?
    Also, do you know of any better value in amps to power my two Shivas than the Samson models?
    Thanks,
    Shade