What's new

Best amp for Malstrom? (1 Viewer)

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
I had decided to use the Adire AVA250 for my Maelstrom project becuase of it's features (auto on, phase control and cross over, configuration-plate amp).

However, I would like a little more power. Any suggestions of other amps to look at?

Thanks

-

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
What size enclosure are you running? Ported, PR, or sealed?

If you are using a larger, ported design the AVA250 will be plenty since the Maelstrom is so efficient.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
As Kyle says, the application will determine power requirements. For 3x more power while retaining a great feature-set, though, you might consider just moving up the Adire line to the HS 500 plate amp. I've read very positive things about it.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Yes, the HS500 is a VERY good amplifier especially since it has the parametric EQ built into it. If it is in your price range is is one to look at too.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at a 195 litre sealed enclosure. I really wanted the HS500 but, the price of it combined with the Maelstrom was just getting too high to justify.

Will I be disappointed with the AVA250 driving the Maelstrom? Or, should I hold off and go with the HS500 when funds permit?

Thanks

-

DanWiggins

Second Unit
John,

An AVA250 will get a Maelstrom to linear Xmax down around 20 Hz in that sized box. If you want the extra features of the HS500, but not all the cost, I'd consider the HS200. Same features, and still quite a bit of power for the system.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
What is the cutout required to mount the HS500? Are they self sealing? Or, do they need an amp enclosure? How do the two pieces of the HS500 mount together or does the power supply module mount internaly, seperate from the amplifier module?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks