Best amp for Malstrom?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnA, Feb 20, 2002.

1. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

I had decided to use the Adire AVA250 for my Maelstrom project becuase of it's features (auto on, phase control and cross over, configuration-plate amp).

However, I would like a little more power. Any suggestions of other amps to look at?

Thanks

-

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

What size enclosure are you running? Ported, PR, or sealed?

If you are using a larger, ported design the AVA250 will be plenty since the Maelstrom is so efficient.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Yes, the HS500 is a VERY good amplifier especially since it has the parametric EQ built into it. If it is in your price range is is one to look at too.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

4. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at a 195 litre sealed enclosure. I really wanted the HS500 but, the price of it combined with the Maelstrom was just getting too high to justify.

Will I be disappointed with the AVA250 driving the Maelstrom? Or, should I hold off and go with the HS500 when funds permit?

Thanks

-

5. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

John,

An AVA250 will get a Maelstrom to linear Xmax down around 20 Hz in that sized box. If you want the extra features of the HS500, but not all the cost, I'd consider the HS200. Same features, and still quite a bit of power for the system.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

6. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

What is the cutout required to mount the HS500? Are they self sealing? Or, do they need an amp enclosure? How do the two pieces of the HS500 mount together or does the power supply module mount internaly, seperate from the amplifier module?

Thanks

7. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

ttt