What's new

Best amp for Klipsch speakers (1 Viewer)

JoeRA

Auditioning
Anyone have recommendations for a good amp to match Klipsch speakers? I've heard Yamaha amps don't sound very good with Klipsch. I was thinking maybe Denon or Onkyo.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
You mean for HT applications? yes, both of them will be good. If you are talking about a dedicated system for music (which can double as a High End HT) then, by all means, look at www.margules.com and take a look at the Daleth preamplifier coupled with an Aleph amplifiers.

I have yet to hear a better sounding equipment.

Lopez

Auditioning
what kind of Klipsch? There's a big difference between a Klipschorn and a Promedia system.

Klipsch has their own bulletin board full of die-hard klipsch freaks. You should go ask them. it's at forums.klipsch.com.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
In my experience:

Yamaha RX-V1000 + Klipsch RF-7 = Overly bright and tinny.

Denon 2803 + Klipsch RF-7 = VERY nice. Very nice with a good turntable. I love the RF-7s with some good vinyl.

Pioneer 1014 + Klipsch RF-7 = Pretty darn close to the Denon. Not a lot of difference, actually.

I have heard that Rotel amplifiers are an excellent match for Klipsch.

JoeRA

Auditioning
I have a small room and have RF-25's in my system. I've been fairly happy with the setup but am thinking of buying a new amp. Home theater will be the main use.

I'll check out the Klipsch forum as well.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
You should go listen to as many as you can. By the way Yamaha sounds a lot better with Klipsch with the new models than they used to. I wouldn't rule them out without a listen.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Im very happy with my Rotel amps driving my KG series speakers. I also owned a B&K amp and thought it sounded pretty good.

Try and listen to as many amps as possible and go with what sounds good to YOU.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Yes, come visit us over on the Klipsch forums. You'll get a ton of advice there...maybe more than you'd like!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Whatever you do, ignore the comments about Klipsch not needing an amp(over receiver) due to their high efficiency. I've heard them on several occasions with better amps and they really are better with better(sounding) amps.

Klipsch and Rotel is very popular.

If you wish to stick with a reciever, then Denon is very popular for Klipsch.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I run a Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX right now with my Klipsch RF-7/RC-7/RF-5 setup, and I just bought a Rotel RMB-1095 amp to power them. I haven't received it yet, but when I do I will be posting a review so you can see what the difference is.

I've heard good things about Rotel and Klipsch, so we'll see :D

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

I've come out of HTForum retirement to throw in a for-what-it's-worth, based on my experience of over 15 years of Klipsch ownership:

First of all, if it is at all financially possible, please consider separates... Klipsch speakers thrive with great amplification, and if you find the right synergy of components, they can bring a performance to you like no other speaker in their price range that I have heard.

I have heard my Klipsch Fortes with Carver, Harman Kardon, Rotel, and McCormack; I have heard Klipsch on other's systems with Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Aragon. Of all of these, the most revealing is McCormack. It is not a well-known brand, but it is critically acclaimed, both by audio critics and consumers.

The least impressive of these, for my ears (and on the systems I've heard them), are Onkyo and Yamaha. I found Onkyo receivers to be fairly pedestrian-sounding, and Yamaha receivers to be too shrill, at least with the Klipsch speakers I have heard powered by them.

Somewhere in the middle of these would be HK and Denon, with HK sounding somewhat warm, and Denon being fairly neutral. Of the two, and if I was determined to go with a one-box solution, I would probably opt for the Denon.

The Rotel 5-channel amp I owned for about a year was built like a tank; fairly quiet at idle, and neutral-sounding; but it never, ever fooled me into believing I was listening to a live performance. I do not have the knowledge of amplifier design and electronics to explain this... I just know what I hear.

I liked the sound of Aragon the few times I have heard it; my only complaint is that the sound is a little too warm to offer the illusion of being at the performance. (If it sounds like I'm critiquing based on 2-channel music listening, please bear in mind that, if a system reproduces music accurately, it will do the same for a film soundtrack).

I am currently using a McCormack DNA 0.5 for surrounds and McCormack DNA-HT1 for front and mains. (I previously owned a DNA-1 Deluxe, and foolishly sold it when I converted to HT). These amps love horns, and have brought me the closest to the goal of the audiophile... which is to recreate the original performance.

McCormack components can be found at half their original retail on the used market, if that is something you would consider. Bear in mind that, even at that reduced price, it cost me about 2 grand to power my five channels in my HT with used McCormack amps.

Best of luck; remember that your own ears will tell you the most, and don't forget to try placement and positioning of your speakers to find the sweetest possible spot. If at all possible, if you are buying new components, try to find a seller with a good return policy. You can never be sure how a component is going to sound with your own system.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I've owned Klipsch since 1988. I've used Carver to power the Klipsch and have been using the Rotel 1095 amp for just over three years. Both match well with the Klipsch.

I recently traded a Sony DVP-9000ES player for a vintage McIntosh MA-5100 stereo integrated amp. It only 45wpc@8ohm. But, this is the best sound I've heard from any of my systems. I can listen for hours to this sweet combo. I do have to unhook the speaker wires from the Rotel to hook up the Mac. But, certainly worth the little time involved.

I'm also not a fan of Yamaha with Klipsch FWIW.

CurtisC

Second Unit
HK,Rotel and Denon avrs work good together w/klipsch.Parasound,Rotel and BK amps work nicely,along with many other more expensive amps.The used amp suggestion is worth a thought.

CurtisC

Second Unit
HK,Rotel and Denon avrs work good together.Parasound,Rotel and BK amps work nicely,along with many other more expensive amps.The used amp suggestion is worth a thought.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Darrel,

Isn't it amazing how far ahead of the upgrade curve Klipsch speakers are? It must be the horns, and the incredible sensitivity... I thought my Carver was decent, as well, but these speakers just beg for high-quality amps... After 16 years, I am still impressed by mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks