What's new

Best Amp ever? (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
OK one hijacker jumping outtttttttttttttttttttt.........byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee e.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
hey, it was an interesting discussion (leaving the personal attacks behind). I think Yogi attacked way less, so don't go so easily.
Why don't any of you open a new thread to discuss (in a civilized way) the topic around measurements and musical enjoyment?;)

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I never imagined that a review I wrote so long ago would still be circulating chat rooms... I have a couple of points that I believe may help you with your decision. But first let me compliment you for being so thorough in your research--you will likely own this gear for the majority of your life. And the folks who participate in this forum have also done a great job at giving you some noteworthy considerations. :emoji_thumbsup:
Not only do I stand behind my review of the Earthquake, but I also purchased that amplifier two months after I wrote the review--I needed to audition a few others first. While I do not appreciate being grouped into "Home Theater isn't known for their audio auditioning," I do agree that all reviews are subjective. I did also go to the extent of having that gear measured by an independent source AFTER the listening review was conducted so as not to expose myself to the potential effects of so-called "psycho acoustics." I believe that HT Mag still conducts their reviews as thorough to this day.
Earthquake is not a "new" company. They have been in the consumer electronics industry for many years--first as a manufacturer for companies who shall remain unnamed and then into Car Audio and in the past several years, Home.
The owner of Earthquake, Joseph is a total hi-fi nut...not unlike anyone in this forum. He designs most of the components himself and takes knocks of his products to heart. While other companies I have known simply drive past negative reviews, Joseph will stop production if a flaw is found until it is addressed. I admire his dedication. With that said, who wouldn't want to buy from a manufacturer with that much enthusiasm?
I went on to recommend this amplifier to many of my close friends who still enjoy them to this day. I don't know of any problems with any of them.
A good point was made in this thread...you never know what you really like until they are auditioned side-by-side. At the end of the day, how often do we get the chance? I do and at times I am delighted with the results. At Home Theater I would measure gear and print specs...I never did like to. And today with my new magazines we do not print specs at all. I have a saying I learned long ago, "If you torture the numbers long enough, they'll tell you anything you want." Nothing could be more true when it comes to listening. Additionally, more than 60% of the population suffer from some sort of hearing disorder. What tickles my inner ear may sound like two trash can lids banging together to you...
Again, you've done a fine job making sure this is the amp for you...now go buy it and enjoy the hell out of it.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I do agree that all reviews are subjective. I did also go to the extent of having that gear measured by an independent source AFTER the listening review was conducted so as not to expose myself to the potential effects of so-called "psycho acoustics." I believe that HT Mag still conducts their reviews as thorough to this day.
Clint,
The problem here is that measurements do not capture everything - presumably why you agree that all reviews are subjective.
Some measurements in fact can be quite poor but the sound can be good. Look at excellent tube amps where certain parameters seem off.
Science is not perfect and certainly not inclusive of everything audio. It's just too complex.
:)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Science is not perfect and certainly not inclusive of everything audio. It's just too complex.
Well said Lee:emoji_thumbsup:. When it comes to listening, science takes the back seat for me.
BTW where were you guys earlier (before the hijacking that is):)

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
:star: If everybody knew what the hell they were doing when it came to making qualified buying decisions, then companies like BOSE wouldn't be in business...:star:

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Earthquake amps and be disassembled and each channel replaced or sents alone for repairs?

It's a true mono-block design, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks