What's new

Best Amp ever? (1 Viewer)

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I think at $2000, its really quite a bargain. Heck, the Rotel RMB-1095, Sherbourn 5/1500A and Parasound HCA-2205AT go for around that price, and provide much less power. Personally I own the 1095, but if I could've gotten the Cinenova at $2000, there'd be no question which one I'd have gotten. Just make sure you can get the full warranty and dealer support though.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The "high end" companies have absolutly no edge on "stability", in fact with "high end" the way it is, they may be "far more" precariously perched financially than a thriving "car audio" company.
John,

While I don't have the time to respond to your whole post. I will strongly disagree and my basis for measuring financial risk is quite strong - I run a risk management software company and the number of years in business is a key determinant of financial health of any business. I am suggesting here that to buy a product from a very healthy 20-25 year old company like Magnepan or Audio Research or C-J or Theta (newer) is less risky than a new brand. In this business many audio companies in both high end and HT come and go. I do not personally believe the prevailing myth of high end being more dangerous because many have offered HT gear and those that don't may have niche marketing segments or cult followers and have profit margins which allow flexibility.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It's good to keep in mind that certain amps such as the Thetas intentionally or unintentionally have audibly high levels of even order distortion which some attribute to that warm, musical sound.
Chu, this seems unproven at best. Most audiophiles like Thetas for their clean and transparent sound. I have never heard an overly warm or euphonic sound from their amps, just clean power.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Well, I would like to consider my options before shelling out $2K, but it seems the leader so far... By a long shot I think too...
Well it did seem from the orignal post that you had already made up your mind about buying this piece and were just looking for some reassurance, which is not bad at all. If I were excited about a product so much and found a killer deal I would also have subconciously made up my mind and would only be looking for some reassurance in a thread like this one. I however find your above statement quite an overstatement. What do you mean by leader? you mean in the power department or the THD department? Could you please clarify?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Stereophile's bench tests would seem to back up Chu's statement - at least for the Theta Intrepid and presumeably the Dreadnaught, which I assume is a similar design. I guess everyone's threshold/interpretation of "clean" is different. :)
Michael, the best advice is to audition as many amps as you can and pick the one that you like. It should be obvious to you by now that whatever *you* like is the "best". :)

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Yogi-

What I meant by "Leader so far"?

I meant that from what I have researched so far, the Cinevnova Grande was the leader in the race for my decision winner. I thought that was apparent in my post. For say, under $2.5K it's seems the logical choice to me.

Since I have an authorized dealer about 300ft from my door step, it just makes too much sense to me at this point I think.

But, like I said- I want to be sure before shelling out the $$$ for it, cause even that I can get a great deal, I can get great deals on other products too, and for a little more $$ if somthing was better I would rather go with it. I am looking to get the very best amp possible on a budget of less than $3K total spent on it.

I have access to just about any home theater product through one way or another so the "deal" I get is not as big as a purchase decision as the actual quality and value for the $$ spent on it is.

Again, Thanks to all of you for helping me with this decision- and Keep the feedback comming. -MIKE

Yogi

Screenwriter
A distortion over 1% could hardly be called transparent don't you think?
Chu, I have always felt that my Proceed amp is more transparent than my Technics receiver which has 100 times less distortion than the Proceed. Now thats the THD paradox:) How can an amp with 100 times more distortion be more transparent? I believe the answer lies in the way we measure THD.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I don't know if it's 100x times less distortion per se but the Proceed's distortion is around 0.1%, essentially inaudible. Hey I can only hypothesize in your situation Yogi as to the reasons. However the Theta's running about 1 1/4% and it just happens to be primarily even ordered to boot. Betcha a good slice of NY pizza that if that distortion was odd-ordered on the Theta it might sound just a bit annoying though! One thing's for sure, if he buys that amp and for some reason is unhappy with it, he's not going to have any problems unloading it for a modest profit and that's something one generally can't say about other components. I like when the worst case scenario still turns out in my favor.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Yeah I think it would be primarily even ordered distortion. 1-4% odd order distortion would make him run out of the room:D Also under 2K that amp is a steal I would have to agree.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
On the subject of "Best Amps," why not you try out an Odyssey amp. These tend to be the best dollar for dollar amp out there. And it holds its own in terms of sound quality with the best amps out there, like Theta, Krell and Proceed.

Yogi

Screenwriter
It's funny how always science is at fault,to fail to back up some people's "audio sensory system's" subjective data!
But what is funnier is that people think science is an end in itself when it is only a means to an end, like in this case science is the means to explain how a human hears (subjectively). And let me tell you its not complete by far. Science has to go a long way before explaining a lot of things in this world. So stop placing your utmost trust in science and trust your instincts instead atleast for something as subjective as hearing because science can be fooled (by beating down the THD by negative feedback) but your instincts cannot be fooled and thats why Proceed sounds more transparent than the Technics.

Cheers.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
but your instincts cannot be fooled and thats why Proceed sounds more transparent than the Technics.
That's one way to explain why you conclude like that,but there could be others,which not neceserally scientific,but psychological in nature?!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks