What's new

Best All Around Receiver For $300 (1 Viewer)

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
Have you ever considered used? At the rate these things become technically obsolete (newer models will always have something some people can't live without), you should be able to pick up a nice receiver with few miles on it. I sold my Yamaha RX-V2095 for $425 (MSRP $1400) in the Classifieds section of Audio Review last year. Sure it was just out of warranty, but Yamaha builds pretty reliable stuff. Besides, usually if something is going to fail, it does it within a year or so.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Chad. When you play DD at -30 does it stress the amp out. Does the 811 have a Warm or Bright sound. Sorry for all the questions, I want to make a wise purchase thats all. What flaws have you found with this unit if any? One more thing how does the music sound. I have read on other sights that it is horrible. I have a sony htib receiver, and I know it has to sound better than that. What about Neo:6?

For me -30 does not stress it out....I have played a couple movies in the 20's.
Warm or bright? Don't really have an answer for you on that one. The onkyo sr600 which i owned before this sounded cleaner but I like the pioneer before the sony lower end.

I don't really have any flaws...the remote works great..I am down to one now.

The music is not the greatest but since I was buying a receiver more for dvd use I did't care about that issue so much. I don't think it is horrible but there probably is better in this price range.

I have not used neo:6 at all so I can't comment.

For watching TV I use Advanced surround Music because music applies all sound to center and music breaks the sound up between the speakers better. When I watch sporting events all usually listen to 5.1 channel surround.
Hopes this answers most of your questions.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Oh BTW I notice that RadioShack (RCA) sells an clone of this Pioneer 811. Whats up with that? Can we say RCA componets in the Pioneer 811?
Not remotely close...It's Rat Shack being allowed to label the Pioneer as "RCA". Kind of like Mazda trucks are really Ford Rangers with different labeling. Same exact thing basically.

As for room size, you can see from the pix on my site that I have a huge open room and the 811 has more than ample power to crank out the music and DVD's...

Not sure where Mike was coming from...I've played mine at moderate levels and am quite happy with it sound..nothing like a "KLH receiver".

As for "warm" "cool" sounds etc, I think it all has to do with room acoustics AND the speakers you choose to use...you can't really honestly judge this effect from others opinions because we ALL have different set up's...Try it at YOUR home and decide for yourself...worst case, bring it back and audition something else if it doesn't suite your needs.

Good luck!
Alfer

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Mike, Pioneer has been making Radio Shack Receiver's for years. So the Pioneer is not an RCA, the RCA is a Pioneer:D

Glenn Mcc

Grip
I purchased a Denon 1803 from Tweeter for $325.00 and it rocks. Great clear sound. I was afraid that the 80 watts would not do the job, but it is more than I need.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Well the whole Radio Shack thing has me wigged out know. I guess the pioneer isnt the great after all. I guess maybe I should look at the Kenwood 6060.

Andy_SB

Agent
Brian, I really wouldn't let the Radio Shack thing sway your decision. As others have pointed out, RCA is simply putting their badge on a Pioneer-manufactured receiver. If you are worried about the quality of RCA and/or Radio Shack products, that really doesn't matter in this case because they're only selling it, not making it.

In fact, just because something is sold at Radio Shack doesn't mean it's bad. Many of their products are actually manufactured by other companies. For instance, a number of their "Optimus"-branded headphones are actually great quality because they are made by Koss. And many of their universal remote controls are identical to those sold under the "One-For-All" brand.

- Andy

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Nope....I also was upset when I saw the RCA look alike to the pioneer.
I enjoy the pioneer and the look of it. It may not be great for music but it makes up for it in watching DVD's.
Remember speakers, room size, tune up all make a difference on how it sounds.
I recently bought a SPL meter and the S&V disc and well lets say I enjoy my system even more now.
My next upgrade is my subwoofer....SVS.
I really don't like the looks of the new kenwoods..they look cheap with all those buttons ....

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Bill Will... LMAO that was funny!:D
As for the test on the 811. my livingroom size is 13x18 speakers were set to large and small (either or) and did not hear no difference. I was more excite to hurry and disconnect it and excited to hurry and put my H/K hooked back up. No way the Pioneer 100x6 is true or if it is peak power that sucker distorts at 85% or so.
The guy at best buy was asking if I like it or not. I told him to look at the date I got the reciver and he said Oh now I know. Also told me I was not the only one that return one back lately.
I say if your a Pioneer fan you'll stick with it... if not there others out there that will please you more for the sound you sould really deserve for 399.00 for an A/V receiver.
I give the Pionner (Team RCA as BillWill stated :D):
:star: :star: star: out of :star: :star: :star:
:star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks