Best All Around Receiver For $300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?

2. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

moast people here like the pioneer vsx 811s for that price.

a few dollars more can get you a yamaha htr 5560.

3. Mike_HT

Mike_HT Agent

I just bought the VSXD811S...waiting for it to arrive at the moment.

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

There are better choices, but I'm very pleased with my Panasonic SAHE100.

5. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

Could you please tell me a few things about the Panasonic. I like the price (249)...but I have been looking very hard at the 811s. Tell me, is the Panasonic 5.1 or 6.1? If it is 6 channel, is the 6th channel amp built in or do you need an extra amp? Also, does it use posts or clips for the speakers? Are there pre-Outs? Fianlly, Is it a learning remote? These 4 questions are big for me, and since the pioneer has them all, thats why I was considering it. If the Panasonic matches these, I would consider it for sure!

Thanks.. P.J.

6. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for all the questions. I just found out some of the things on my own. The speaker connections are Clips for center and rears and there are no pre outs..both of those are bad for me. It is 6.1 Amp'd so that's good. The one thing im still not sure of is if its a learning remote. I have some hardware that it will not have codes for (I am sure) so I need a learning. I like the style, and I'm pretty sure that the amps are superior to the Pioneers...but the 811 still seems to offer more features in that price range. Although, If i cant get the Pioneer back to 299 like it was, The Panasonic is what I will probably end up buying.

P.J.

7. Brian_Tho

Mike_HT when your 811 arrives and you get it hooked up let me know how it is. I am having a hard time deciding between 811 and vr-6060.

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

The Panasonic remote is not a "Learning" type. I would go with the Pioneer but if you need a turntable input? then go with the Panasonic because the Pioneer doesn't have one. You might also want to check out the specs., pictures & etc of both of them at www.crutchfield.com

9. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator

Kenwood is a good choice for this price range, you can have the new VR-6050 for 300$, an even better choice is to try to get a older model that are discounted like a VR-410(what I have, and it is very good receiver) or a VR-509 or the THX VR-510(probably still above 300$ but you never know) those older model are still very good receiver for 5X100W in this price range.

10. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

H/K Avr-125 Love it. Got it at my Local CC for $220.00 On sale it retails for $399.00.

Do not let the 45watts x 5 Fool ya. It out performed my old ONKYO TX-SR500 which is rated at 65 watts x 5 channels.
    I returned it back to CC for the H/K avr 125!

Allot of people mentioned about the Pioneer 811, I am tempted to try it at least and see how it does.

11. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Love my 811...awesome bang for the buck.

Oh and the 6.1 stuff I've heard so far really adds to the HT experience.

ALfer

12. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

Brian, I noticed you have posted a couple of times on this subject (specifically the 811 vs 6060) so I thought I’d throw my .02 in. I am also looking for an affordable receiver and these two are high on my list.
    Here are the advantages of each over the other, as I see them:

Pioneer:
    Full set of preouts.
    $50 or so cheaper.
    Higher component video switching bandwidth (28 mhz vs. a low 10 mhz on the Kenwood).
    Optical digital output.
    1 additional optical digital input.
    Assignable digital inputs (the Kenwood’s are not AFAIK).
    1 additional S-Video output.
    “7.1” channel analog inputs (vs. 5.1 on the Kenwood).
    All speaker terminals are posts (vs. clips for the B speakers on the Kenwood).
    2 separate terminals for the surround back channel so it’s easier to go to a “7.1” setup.

Kenwood:
    More powerful, uses the same amps as the 6070 which was tested at 92w x 6 by S&V (vs. independent tests of 74w x 6 for the Pioneer).
    Discrete amplification for each channel. (I am not 100% sure of this)
    Lower THD.
    RF remote so you can control it inside of a cabinet or from another room.
    LCD display on remote.
    2-year warranty vs. 1-year for the Pioneer.
    Phono input.
    1 additional A/V input.
    1 additional S-Video input.

As I’m sure you know, the specs are very close. If there is one spec that is particularly important to you, then I’d obviously go with that unit (For instance, if you want to use an external amp in the future, go with the Pioneer for the preouts. If you want to use a turntable, go with the Kenwood for the phono input.)
    Other than that, I’d say you should base your decision on sound quality. If possible, audition both receivers at a high-end audio store with a speaker setup as close to your own as possible. I’ve read good things on this forum and others about the performance of both receivers, so I think the final decision just comes down to your own subjective evaluation of how each receiver performs in HT and music.

Also, I think that either receiver will have plenty of power for your needs, so I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

- Andy

13. Brian_Tho

Thanks Andy that cleared alot of things up. I wish I could audition them but my local Best Buy isnt that great. They do not have them hooked up to speakers as far as I could tell. Plus the speakers they do have or cheap pieces of crud. I would like to know who owns a 811 or 6060 and what size room do you use it in.

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I own the Pioneer and my room is roughly 15' * 14'
    It does it all for what I need and I am down to 1 remote.

15. Brian_Tho

What are your listening volumes for music and dvd.

16. MichaelMOS

MichaelMOS Agent

also do you have small speakers or large speakers? I have small sony satellite speakers in a room that is 16x16 and i am looking at this receiver also.

17. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Music varies -60 to -40 depending if the girlfriend is home or not.
    DVD
    Dolby Digital - -30 to -40 depending on type of movie.

DTS -60 to -30. Remember DTS is about 4dbs higher than Dolby Digital.

All Depends on time of day. I live in a duplex so I have to think about the neighbors.

18. Brian_Tho

Thanks for the info Chad. When you play DD at -30 does it stress the amp out. Does the 811 have a Warm or Bright sound. Sorry for all the questions, I want to make a wise purchase thats all. What flaws have you found with this unit if any? One more thing how does the music sound. I have read on other sights that it is horrible. I have a sony htib receiver, and I know it has to sound better than that. What about Neo:6?

19. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if ether of theese models have graphic EQ? or some other way of calibrating the speakers/subwoofer?

20. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

I took the 811 for a purchase from my local BB for 399.00. I felt that the receiver was not all up to what I expected. I just 1st want to say that I ran only an 5.1 setup. The remote was easy and also the menu for speaker adjustments was easy too.
    What I felt that it needed was more UMPH! Rated at 100 watts,, it felt like my KLH a/v receiver performed at 50 watts.
    I still felt that my HK125 has an cleaner sound. The music on the 811 started to get distored at about 80% of the way on the volume. As of now the Pioneer 811 receiver sits in the trunk of my car waiting to go back to BB and get my 399.00 back this evening. All in all I say if you want an 6.1 receiver this is ok,,, but it is not great as what I read for reviews by others. Oh BTW I notice that RadioShack (RCA) sells an clone of this Pioneer 811. Whats up with that? Can we say RCA componets in the Pioneer 811?
    Check it out:
    Pioneer 811
    [​IMG]
    RCA (wanna be Pioneer 811)
    [​IMG]
    The only catch is that the RCA version is 5.1 and the 811 is 6.1 . So the RCA version actually meets with the standards of the Pioneer711 model.
    [​IMG] . Well Unless RCA is moving up in class [​IMG] . Its your $399.00 out of your pocket book and not mine so if it meets your expectations go for it. For me I will settle for my HK125 at this time. Now if I want a 6.1 I think the Panasonic make a great unit for a lesser price.
    [​IMG]