What's new

best all around 32" TV (1 Viewer)

Matt Rich

Auditioning
I'm looking for a 32" tv, possibly a 36". I don't have any receiver or speakers set up in my room, so i want the best possible TV, including video and audio performance. It doesn't have to be HDTV ready, but i am willing to pay the extra $ if it's worth it. I'd like it to be PIP with split windows tuners...

Any advice would be much appreciated, i've looked at the Sony 32v-hs20, and a toshiba model or 2, and want to make an educated decision.

Thanks.

Matt

Matt Rich

Auditioning
$1000-$1500 or so...I'm not alltogether resigned to a direct view, i already have a 52" RP, so if i were to get another one, i'd want it to be widescreen or something different. More than likely will go for a 32 or 36 " direct view.

matt

Matt Rich

Auditioning
The HS20 has been #1 on my radar. I'm not necesarily looking for the biggest possible TV, since it is a bedroom TV, and my viewing distance is maybe 6 ft. I would rather have the best 32", than just an average 36"

I definately have a big use for what they call "twin view" pip, since i have 2 tivo's, and am deep into tivoland most nights, so i would like to be able to watch live sports or news on the other tuner...

HDTV is not a deal breaker, but usually the HDTV ready sets have other features that the others don't. If there was one exactly like the HS20 without HDTV, that would be a big consideration.

matt

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If the "XBR" sets are out of your price range than I would go with one of the Sony flat tube "V" series models instead of the "S" series because of the speakers in the "V" series.
You might also want to take a look at the "HD ready" Samsung 32 inch Flat Tube model which has been getting pretty good reviews & can be had for around $1,200
I haven't seen much posted about the Zenith flat tube sets but I would take a look at them too because you can hook up a computer to them if that's of any intrest to you.
The big thing I would look for seeing you want quality sound is just that. Check for audio watts, bass, trebble & balance controls & a set that can do the "Squeeze Trick" for DVD's. As far as I can remember, only Sony & Samsung's will do the "Squeeze Trick" in analog sets, but I could be wrong. If you don't know what the "Squeeze Trick" is do a search on it on this forum.
For reviews of sets you might want to take a look at www.audioreview.com for owner reviews. Also try www.hometheaterspot.com there is a lot of information on Samsung sets.

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember if you go with the Sony there is only a small chance of getting a perfect TV.

I am on my second FV TV and although it is not perfect it is alot better than the first.

I recently went to all three of my local electronic stores and ALL the Sony's had geometry problems (mostly funhouse) to some degree.

Steve

Matt Rich

Auditioning
I was at fry's tonight, and they had the 4 top of the lines right together, the xbr 36 inch, hs 36 inch, xbr 32 inch and hs 32 inch, and boy did that 36 xbr look very sweet.

what are the main differences between the xbr, and the regular ones....just better picture technology?

also saw the samco 34 " widescreen.....very nice..

matt

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I love my JVC D series 32" NTSC 4:3 TV. Its really great. I truely believe its picture is one of the very best. Better signal equals better picture, but even without pristine cable, the picture is pretty decent.
I have, however, a growing urge to buy a 16:9 display, be it an RP HDTV or a projector. Seriously give a thought to saving more money for one of those, because I bought this 32" 4:3 TV a year ago and I am already wanting to upgrade to a larger 16:9 large screen display:)

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
Toshiba 32 AFX61---- Wonderful picture (much better than my Wega), very good audio (volume at half way is very loud and clear). My Sony has to be turned almost all the way up for same volume response and then it starts this tinny buzz. Toshiba also has flat screen and many input capabilities. Very good television.

Matt Rich

Auditioning
That toshiba would be comparable to which sony, the 32fv27?

If anybody's really in the know, can they compare the toshiba's to the sony's, and which models are the most alike, say if i am looking at the sony 32hs20, which toshiba should i look at for the same features and so on.

matt

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember if you go with the Sony there is only a small chance of getting a perfect TV.
I just cant agree. I read of the problems people on this forum seem to have with Sony Wegas, and while I'm sure some do indeed have problems, the majority I have seen look just fine. My Wega looks great. I have a handful of friends who have bough Wegas after seeing mine, and they are all fine, also. Who is buying all of these 'problematic' sets? If you are looking for a 'perfect' TV, you probably wont find it from anybody (define perfect, please). I still find the image from my Wega the best I have ever had from a TV, and in enhanced mode, its stunning, and I have yet to see a set from any other manufacturer come close to the image quality. Is it perfect? Well, I don't know about that, but its closer than any set I've ever seen before. I don't worry about artifacts that can only be seen with a test disk and no image. That's not a real world use for a TV. Funhouse effect? I would sure like to see this because I have read so much about it. It must look odd, for sure! I have never seen this on a Wega, either. Maybe all the good sets are sent here, to California. I will definitely buy another when the time comes.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Happy with my WEGA so far, as well--but her days as my main display are numbered (the bedroom system is beckoning).

You could do a hell of a lot worse than the KV-32XBR450. It's a great set--but factor the price of a grayscale calibration into the overall purchase price (Sonys tend to run on the blue side).

You might also want to check out the latest-generation Princeton Graphics monitors in the 32- and 36-inch range.

Thing is, you'll end up with a bedroom unit that is decidedly superior to the older RPTV in your home theater. You might want to think that situation through.

Don Russell

Auditioning
Let me ask the same question with another restriction - a lot of us have the Sauder or Bush entertainment centers that are advertised as capable of holding "up to" a 32" TV. The opening is about 20" deep and 34 1/2" wide (upper shelf is adjustable to give plenty of vertical space), which means any 32" I've seen will stick out the back and must NOT have side speakers. What is the best 32" TV that will fit?

Matt Bloxham

Agent
I've had my 32XBR450 for about 9 months now, and I love it. It looks great with analog cable and DVD's will blow you away. Anytime I have my friends over, they are drooling over it. I did calibrate it with AVIA and the color and blacks are perfect! Plus with with the Cinemotion function I could still keep my 200 disc DVD changer without having to go out and buy a progressive scan DVD player.
If you step up to the XBR you won't be sorry.:emoji_thumbsup:
Matt

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Matt, I think the comparable Toshiba model to the Sony HDTV-ready 32 inch sets would be the 32HFX71
Link Removed
I'd actually be interested in anyone's experience with this set as well.
cheers,
--tom

Matt Rich

Auditioning
Thanks, it looks like that is the toshiba most like the sony hs20. Curiously, sony style and a lot of places says msrp 1799, but sel.sony says $1999.00 It's strange that the similar toshiba would be more than the sony. i'll have to compare the features.

That looks like the sets i'd be interested in, heavily discounted of course...

matt

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
>What is the best 32" TV that will fit?<

I think you'll be looking at the Hitachi 32UDX10s or the Panasonic 32HX41. Maybe the Toshiba 32HFX71.. but I'm not sure how wide that is.

Hitachi 32UDX10s:

Cabinet Specifications

Color: Silver

Height: 26-3/4"

Width: 31-1/8"

Depth: 22-3/16"

Weight: 113 lbs.

Panny 32HX41:

What is the height of the TV? (Inches) 27

What is the width of the TV? (Inches) 32

What is the depth of the TV? (Inches) 23

What is the weight of the TV? (Pounds) About 170

Toshiba 32HFX71:

Cabinet: (W) 34 1/2 x (H) 26 9/16 x (D) 22 5/8 - 157 lbs

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Matt, I can't remember what the differences are between the Sony XBR and HS models to say which one the Toshiba is comparable to. A quick check at pricescan.com shows the Toshiba retailing for $1400-1500 (this is on-line so shipping costs would have to be taken into account).

cheers,

--tom

Matt Rich

Auditioning
Yah, unfortunately it's going to be like $1499 with $200 shipping from one place, and $1700 with "free" shipping from another. I may try a local sears to price match, and deliver cheaply.

matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks