What's new

Best alignment and/or driver for low volume usage? (1 Viewer)

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I would like information as to the best alignment that would be good for lower volume usage (the kiddies need their sleep :) ). Would a sealed or vented box be better? Any drivers you would recommend as well?

Would like as small a box as required for the WAF.

Mainly looking to fill out the bottom-end on movies and classical music (50/50). I have Klipsch speakers all around and no subwoofer currently. Room is 20' by 14' by 8'.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Given the low volumes and small box requirement I'd go for a smaller sealed box. The smaller ported box's have problems getting a port long enough though there's work arounds there as well (PR's) if cost isn't too limiting a factor.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Try a Dayton DVC 12" driver in a 14" cube (assuming 3/4" MDF) with a pound of polyfill. If you need an amp also check out the Parts Express 250W amp (#300-794).

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You should also strongly consider the Adire DPL12 in a 75 liter box as well. (see the musical sub thread for a great link about it on the HTGuide site)

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the great info (Sorry I didn't reply right away, business called me out of town).

Brian - Why the Dayton DVC 12" vs. other models/brands? And is the 14" cube the external dimension? Will it need much bracing?

Andrew - Thanks for the great link about the DPL12. I would be using it in a downfiring configuration, and it was mention that it will "decrease, albeit slightly, available Xmax and cause sag over time." What does this mean in terms of sound? Will I be replacing this driver is a few short years?

Funny that the DPL12 discussed mentioned needing a box 75 liter box. I have been playing with the maximum size based upon where in the room I need to place it, and it came out to 79 liters! So with displacement for the bracing, driver and amp I could be right at 75l.

Thanks again for your replies.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The Dayton driver has a lower Vas than the Shiva and therefore you can achieve a lower Qtc with the Dayton driver in a small box than if you used a Shiva. Yes, that's the external dimensions and a single brace should be more than sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks