Best "active noise cancellation" headphones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The guy in the next cubicle at work spends the day shouting into his telephone. This makes it hard for me to get my own job done (writing technical documents). Unfortunately he's a VP so I can't just tell him to get stuffed.

I understand that active noise cancellation headphones may solve my problem. These have been marketed by Bose $$$ and The Sharper Image $$$. Does anyone have some suggestions about where to get them cheaper than from these two "worthies"?

2. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

My favorites are the Sony NCR-15 earbuds. However, they can be a little uncomfortable at first.

That being said, noice cancellation headphones may not be the best answer for you. In my experience (all on planes), these things do a great job of blocking out the low frequency noise (engines, wind, etc.) but a poor job of blocking out voices. In fact, if I'm not listening to anything, I can generally hear voices better as the background noise is filtered out.

I've found this to be the case with Sony and Bose headphones.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Surfing around I found that the Koss QZ2000 Quiet Zone (about $130) has good reviews. Anyone know how it works against voices? [​IMG]

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    OK it's Monday, any more comments on these devices? I'd really like to order one this week.[​IMG]

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I don't believe noise-reducing headphones will help your specific problem, but since you seem to want them anyway, I'd look at the Sennheiser model, which can be had for $100.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    From what I've seen, NC Headphones only cut out lower frequencies and have little or no effect on speech. I presume this is a safety feature: On a plane, you don't want to have the captains emergency warnings canceled out. So, in your case, NC headphones probably won't help.
    Standard ear plugs might be the cheapest and most effective. Or ask your manager if you can move to a different cubicle where it's a bit quieter.
    Or, you can build your own NC headphones [​IMG]
    http://www.headwize.com/projects/noise_prj.htm

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Oy vey, a breadboard covered with op amps. Just what my office needs. I don't do analog anymore.....