What's new

Best A/V Receiver for under $700 (1 Viewer)

Floyd

Agent
On another thread we settled on Onkyo as the best receiver, with the 606 as a very nice unit. Then I looked at the 705 and then the 805. Now, I've waffled again! I just realized the Onkyo 806 does upconversion to 1080p from all sources, not just HDMI. I love the audio but the videophile in me tends to rule. I really dig the truly dynamic picture that leaps off the screen. In like manner I want the audio to envelop the room with great bass and sound from everywhere. I sit about 12 feet from the tv and speakers and am upgrading the TV to a new 52" Samsung 850 and a Sony Blu-Ray DVD. NOW, I want to get rid of my old Harmon-Kardin AVR-75 and upgrade. Help!
Do you think the Onkyo 806 is worth the extra money or should I settle back to the 706 or 606?
Thank you in advance for your help. This forum is fantastic!

/s/ Floyd

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you're sitting 12ft away from a 52", you're probably sitting too far to benefit noticeably from better 1080p upconversion anyway (assuming the 806 would upconvert better than the TV itself).

I think if I had the extra $ for it, I'd go for the 805 instead of the 606. And if you're sitting 12ft away, then presumably your rooom size is not exactly tiny and might benefit from the extra (real) juice that the 805 can provide -- and it sounds like the new 806 might not. Just make sure you keep the 805 well ventilated (and perhaps w/ an extra cooling fan to help out).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks