What's new

Best 7.1 speakers for !$2000-$2500? (1 Viewer)

Patrick OCarroll

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick O'Carroll
Friends,

I find speaker shopping unbelievably bewildering--the sales folks seem to just push a specific brand, or make one feel stupid for not agreeing the $10,000 speakers are worth every penny. I'm hoping you can help.

I have a home theater in the making--Panasonic ceiling-mounted projector connected via HDMi and component video to a 7.1 sony amp. The room is about 12 x 24 feet, with the drop down screen on the narrower wall.

All that remains is to buy the very best speakers that i can fins for ~$2000-2500 -- which is what remains of my budget. ANY THOUGHTS?! Happy to buy via the web if there's any consensus as to that...

All suggestions welcome--and thanks in advance for helping a newbie! I've already learned a lot from your forum.

Patrick

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If it were my money, here's what I'd probably do:

Ascend Acoustics 340SE Center and Mains
Ascend Acoustics 170SE Side and Rear (2 pair)
Purchased together these come to a little over $1400 including shipping. They also have a trial period.

The rest of the budget (if it were mine) would go to an SVS PB12-NSD/2 which is $900 plus shipping.

Saul_M

Agent
Real Name
Saul_M
Helo Patrick,

My experience with Definitive Technology speakers has been great. It is the current brand I support. Another logical option would be to go with Axiom speakers they have spectacular build quality and performance at any price range. Don't get Klipsch speakers unless you want ear piercing highs that just ruin the HT experience. Deftech or Axiom you can't go wrong with either one.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Very important piece of advice: just because someone raves about "X" brand of speaker does not mean you will like it too.

Speakers vary tremendously as far as sonic "personality" goes so take your time picking them out. And DON'T rely strictly on numbers to choose a loudspeaker & this includes subwoofers: numbers *help*, but they do not tell the whole story. A Paradigm and a Boston Acoustics can easily share the same frequency response, efficiency & wattage rating etc but I guarantee they absolutely do not sound the same.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Let me first agree with Lance. I might tell you the speakers, that in my opinion, are the best hands down. You go out and drop the money on them, hook them up and then think I'm in idiot because they don't sound right to you.

I'm going to buy from Home Theater Direct. http://www.htd.com

Luckily, I'm local to this store and went to listen. First, I couldn't stand them. They are using ribbon tweeters and I thought it sounded weird. The more I listened, I realized that what I thought sounded weird was actually a more natural sound that I hadn't heard from the previous silk dome tweeters. You can get a full set of Level 3 speakers and still have plently of room for an SVS sub if you so desire.

Have fun shopping!

Rick

Saul_M

Agent
Real Name
Saul_M
Thank you for the correction Lance,

Lance is absolutely correct. When it all comes down to it, You are the one that detemines which speaker system is right for you. So go and experience the products first hand at a retailer. Maybe with source material that you have heard before. Like a favorite cd or something on DVD. The system that brings your music or movie to life is the one you should aim for.Keeping budget in mind of coarse.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
my budget was somewhat close to yours, I went with Polk Audio RTi12s, CSi5 center, FXi3 surrounds, SVS PB12 PLus 2, 2 Outlaw M2200 monoblocks to push the RTi12s in a bi-amp setup. My AVR is a Sony 7100 ES. The polks sounds outstanding, do your homework Im sure you will find something, just a thought.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter

Can't say I agree with your assesment about Klipsch. I have Klipsch reference series and they DON'T have ear piercing highs. Very accurate with great imaging.

To the OP, this is why you must demo as much as possible.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
so many choices. be sure to check speakers out at av123.com or you may regret it later...

Harris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone tried out the SVS Systems? I was thinking of the SBS-01 system with a 12" SVS Sub instead of the 10".

Patrick OCarroll

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick O'Carroll
Just want to say THANKS for the excellent advice--and the tips to where to shop on-line. You guys rock.

On to my purchase....

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks