What's new

Best 7.1 Receiver Under $400 (1 Viewer)

Frank PW

Stunt Coordinator
You'll love the 635 Jason. A friend of mine has one.

Funny story, A guy in a audio shop was telling me that when HK added the blue light to the volume dial people were cominng into the store stealing the knobs of the 6 series receivers.

Apparently they thought they could just add them to the older series receivers and get the same result. ha ha ha

F

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the Onkyo 605 also. The nice thing about the Onkyo is its future compatibility. It is HDMI 1.3a compliant and has many of the new surround formats that will come with HDDVD and BD.

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason

Yeah I think I will love the 635 also. On the downside I guess my speakers (Polk 300,150 and CSR)are a bit of my systems weakness now but so far I've been very pleased with their sound even with my old JVC receiver.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I was going to recommend the Yamaha RX-V661, but it appears the OP has already ordered the H/K.:)

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason

I did the auto setup and watched some of the Incredibles tonight! All I have to say is wow what a receiver it's very very nice.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Awesome! The auto setup is great indeed....takes a bit to learn how to maximize its potential but even from the beginning the difference it makes is superb! When you compare the before and after it really shows how good it works.

Regards

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Congrats on the purchase of the H/K receiver. It sounds like it will suit your needs well. Also, I think you can purchase an after-market warranty to cover the receiver. Many electronics retailers from NY, NJ, etc. offer these since they are not authorized to sell most of the brands.

In response to the earlier recommendation on JVC receivers. I think they are also great receivers. I'm not familiar with the newer digitally amplified models - but, those from a few years back. The sound is quite good and the power seems to be there. Plus, when buying used, people tend to overlook JVC, so the can be purchased at some great prices. The only downside, in my opinion, is the code their remote control uses for the volume. It's the same code that the Squeezebox uses. So, if I have the Squeezebox set up with the JVC receiver and I adjust the volume, both boxes respond. Sheesh!

Nowadays, I only focus on buying used gear. My H/K AVR-310 was purchased for less than $100 and even though it was 5 years old, I pulled the plastic off the front panel when I got it home. It's in minty condition. Also, I bid on and won an AVR-230 for $100, which had a broken subwoofer connector. $5.00 in materials and a little labor and it's back in business.

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Been using my H/K 635 for a week now and have noticed that I have to crank the volume from -70 to about -45+ before I start getting any listenable sound. Is this a common trait of this receiver? or could something not be just right with mine?

Oh yeah I am listening to DirectTV XM stations so maybe they just go push in a lot of initial sound. Is has a very good sound and goes on up/down to 0 then on to +6 without any noticable distortion.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Lots of factors can impact this, such as:

- speaker efficiency
- room size
- Material being played
- etc.

It doesn't seem like your situation is odd in any way.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think it's pretty much common for all receivers nowadays. The volume control on my 520 and 435 (when it's in use) during normal use is usually between -35 and -25. It's a lot like an earthquake scale. The difference between -70 and -50 isn't much at all but between -15 and -10 it's very noticeable. Anything past zero is almost deafening

Frank PW

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, My HK volume is usually set around -25 for TV watching. But when the DVD fires up I set it at -15 or so. Anything close to 0 and it's loud.

When the receiver is set to anything below say -50. I can't hear a thing from my speakers.

I need to run the EZset EQ again. My LFE just isn't quite where I'd like it. But that's another story.

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks