What's new

Best 7.1 Receiver Under $400 (1 Viewer)

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I'm looking for a good reciever for a medium/large size room. I don't really care about having HDMI because I run that straight from the DVD player and Direct TV to the 2 HDMI slots in the TV so two optical inputs are good enough.

I'm leaning towards H/K but it's tough to find a powerful enough one for such a low price. Refurbs are ok also probably better from one report I've read.

Thanks,
Jason

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
The power of the HK receivers is deceiving. HK accurately rates their power while many others automatically claim 100 watts per channel and they're not even close.

Try one out and see if its powerful enough for your needs, you may be surprised.

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Alf S said:
I went with this all digital receiver from JVC..$439 at CC and if you have AAA you get 10% off that price...there are cheaper versions of this one if you don't want all the bells and whistles...

So far I am very happy with the performance.

JVC seems to be nice but I currently have an old JVC receiver (5-7 years old) which works ok but I think I'm ready for a different brand name probably a Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, or maybe even Marantz.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

That one is somewhat of a step down from the JVC I mentioned above...fewer HDMI inputs, less wattage...etc. Still a pretty good deal if you don't mind missing an extra HDMI input.

Jacob C

Second Unit

He didn't seem to care about HDMI and I've found it to appear to be more powerful than indicated. I do not have experience with JVC so I cannot comment on it merits. I've found the XR-57 to be a very good inexpenisve basic reciever.

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I'm mostly interested in the bigger name brands such as Harman Kardon, Denon etc whether they are older or new because HDMI really doesn't hold much appeal to me compared to sound. HDMI doesn't hold any appeal to me because my TV, Direct TV, and DVD get along fine without it but my reciever is a bit old and is lacking in the power and sound department. My current receiver is a JVC RX 6008V

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason

Looks nice! How does that one compare to Harmon Kardon AVR 430 which I have also found a very good deal on?

Louisville Fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Goss
I love my Onkyo sr-605. I know you don't need/want HDMI but running all my stuff through the 605 and only having 1 hdmi cable to the TV has been real nice. Also I only use one remote. (The Onkyo remote)

Frank PW

Stunt Coordinator
I have the HK 645 and not only like the sound but the clean power avaliable when I need it.

But what I really like is the clean lines and lack of logos. A receiver also has to be visually appealing for me because it sits dead center under my TV.

The Onkyo is a fine receiver to be sure, but they really messed up by covering the whole front of the receiver with DD DTS, THX logos etc.

Frank

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason

I just ordered my H/K 645 for $400 plus some shipping now I'm just hoping it ships and works fine when I get it. I'm also hoping I don't miss the HDMI inputs

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

In time I think you will...unless you plan on upgrading in a couple years or so...HDMI connections is where the A/V world seems to be going.

Glad I have mine available to use.

Frank PW

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering the same thing.

He was looking at the 430 so the 645 is probably just a typo.

stangjason

Agent
Real Name
Jason

Oops it was the 635. I found it at NewEgg. I ordered it and it will arrive today.

Long story short but it doesn't come with a manufacturers warranty because H/K doesn't recognize newegg as an authorized retailer. I was told earlier in the day they did recognize NewEgg as an authorized dealer and later receiver an email response from an email the prior night that NewEgg is not. On the upside Newegg is wonderful and after an email of the situation they gave me a 15 day return warranty! Basicly thumbs up to NewEgg and thumbs down to H/K.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
NewEggs great ..I've used them to buy computer stuff.

However NOT having any kind of warranty sucks IMO.

Odds are not much will happen to the receiver in just 15 days.

Anyways...enjoy!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks