What's new

Best 60-70" rear prjection TV? (1 Viewer)

Robert K

Agent
I have had a Sony XBR 53" rear projection for 10 years now. Excellent set to this day. Back then I did a lot of side by side viewing comparisons and picked it even over the then largest 40" tube TV as Sony had a better
picture.

Now want to move on to the new wide format screen with HD or HD ready. Dont need a fancy flat screen.......rear projection TV should do nicely for me but I want a even larger screen , e.g., 70" (my only mistake 10 years ago
was not getting the larger TV).

Do you think Sony XBR is still the best of class for rear projection TVs?

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Robert K

Agent
I should add, that even 10 years ago I agonized on waiting until HDTV hit the streets. To this day, im still wating for our cable system to upgrade...if ever. So that said, if i have a choice, should I get something HD ready and wait to buy a conversion box later?

thanks again for any thoughts.

Jed

Grip
The Pioneer Elite RPTs seem to be some of the best rated sets (and - of course - most expensive). I have only had my 64" Pioneer for 3 days, and it has an excellent picture (only $2k at Costco, by the way). All the Sonys I saw when looking around were LCD. The lower end Sony RPTs looked a little anemic...screen frames did not look straight, either.

Happy shopping...

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
First things first....get rid of CABLE! With what your paying for cable....you could be freaking out about how much better satellite looks on you old tv. I did just that about 6 months ago. I just bought a Mitsubishi "Silver Plus" 55 inch (16:9) about 3 weeks ago and after I calibrated it and fine tuned it....I am very happy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Mitsubishi 73" wouldn't dissapoint either.
I would of probably got one, if my budget allowed it.

Lisa Menin

Agent
I just set up a Mitsubishi 65813 for my parents. HD via OTA and Directv is stunning and SD via Directv is acceptable. If price is not a problem, I would go with either the 65813 or the 73713 from Mits.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
The only drawback with sattellite is that it looks like crap when it's blown up beyond 32". Every time I see sattelite on a display larger than that the pixelization and macroblocking and general compressed look (did I mention false contouring?) make me wonder why people pay for that stuff. It's worse in stores using HD sat. feeds for their displays, but that's probably more a distribution issue than a problem with HD satellite. I hope.

On the subject of of great tv's 60" - 70", all good suggestions so far. I've seen the Mits 65813, the Pioneer Elites and the 73" Mits. If you can afford it, the Mits' with the 9" CRT's, the 65813 and the 73" model are my personal faves, especially if you want to have them professionally calibrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks