What's new

Best 6-channel AVR (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Six months after I started my search for a new AVR, I am back at square one. I would love separates, but can’t afford to spend more than $1500. I’d like to spend a lot less.

Yet in my HT room, I will never be able to use a 7th channel, so I don’t want to pay for an amp that I will never use. Now I’m focusing on 6-channel receivers. I could even go for a 5-channel AVR and add a 1-channel amp later (is there such a thing? And what would be a good, inexpensive choice?)

Hence the question. What’s the best 6-channel amp in terms of value ($1200 or under) and features? My primary listening habit is 65-35 music to home theater. I like the specs on the upcoming Nad T762, but I am also looking at Yamaha, HK, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Marantz. Any thoughts on existing or upcoming models?

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I'll give a vote for the 3802. I've been VERY happy with mine and use it about 65/25 HT/music. Works well for both and drives my Legends with no problem.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
the best thing to do is go look at the features of each, play around with all of them. you can get a integra for around that price as well. out of the ones listed i would go look at the denon, pioneer, onkyo, integra, and yamaha.

they are my favorite....

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
How does the Denon 3802 compare to the Yamaha 5590 soundwise?

Comparing at Crutchfield, the Yamaha seems to have a SLIGHT edge on features.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I've never listened to the Yammy so I couldn't say. The Denon sounds GREAT with my Klipsch Legends, but the Yammy might also, just that the Denon has the features I wanted at price I could afford at the time.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Check out the Rotel 1055. It can be found for under $1200 from authorized dealers. Mate it with a small mono amp for the center back and your ready for anything. There's always a inexpensive mono amp for sale at Audiogon.

The 1055 is basically the same as the Rotel 1066 pre but with 5 solid amps(75x5). About $200 cheaper than the 1066 too. All around a sweet deal.

I have a 1055 with a Rotel 985mkII 5 channel amp and it rocks. IMO it blows away my previous combo of a Denon 3802 with Acurus amps.

Earle

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Pretty well every yammie i have listened to, from the most inexpensive model to the rx-v1 sound awsome. they are great. i would have went with the rx-v1300 if i had a choice, but i got such a good deal with the pioneer that i could not justify the extra money.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
See if you can find a Sony 5ES, it is a 6 channel receiver and boast a hole lot of features.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
I may be in the minority here, but have you asked yourself what if anything an extra center surround will get you? My feeling is that for most Home Theater setups, 5.1 is optimal. 7.1 is nice if everything else works out, but 6.1 ends up degrading what 5.1 set out to do. The 6th channel projects the sound image in front of you, and doesn't generally provide the imaging you would expect. If it were me, I would concentrate on a good 5.1 receiver. In that price range you are in the sweet spot budget wise, and most of the 5.1 receivers in that range will give you great service.
Good Luck,

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO the Yamaha is more musical than the Denon and the Denon is alittle better for HT because of the processor. But when you get down to it depending on what model you are looking at. The upper end Denon's are more flexable and have more options than the Yamaha. And both Yamaha and Denon are made by nippon electric. I currently am using a Yamaha RX-V995 that is 5.1 and it does a very good job. I would like to upgrade it to ether a Pioneer Elite 49TX, Denon AVR-5803 or a Sunfire Grand Theater 3? The Yamaha's mulitple soundfeilds work out very nice so you may want to concider that when making your purchase. And you may also want to look at the HK's with Logic 7. I would take your favorite dvd's and cd's and listen to alot of different receivers then decide what you like.

Herman S

Agent
Another thing you should consider is to pair the right type of receiver with your speakers. Ideally you want them to compliment each other. A receiver can sound significantly different pending on the speakers. For example I have a Marantz SR 8200 paired with B&W speakers. They sound awesome together.

The best piece of advice is to see if the store will allow you to demo or borrow a reciever that interests you. If you can't make that happen, then go to a store that sells the line of speakers you own and ask the salesperson to hook up different receivers to them. Let your ears do the deciding.

In terms of value Denon and Marantz are awesome deals, especially take a look at the new x300 line from Marantz if you can wait a little.

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice, folks. Of course, more questions are always raised in the answers. I can't do 7-channel, but some here say 6-channel isn't all that great. I was going to get a 6-channel receiver to have the flexibility, but 5 does make sense if 6-channel sound does in fact not sound so great. I'll have to listen to a 6-channel setup, but I would love to hear more opinions on why 6-channel is good or not so good, and why 7-channel is better than 6.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

I can't speak to a 7-channel setup of any type, but I do agree with the post above that suggests a good 5.1 setup instead of a 6.1 setup. I've played around with both, and found no tremendous advantage, even when a discrete 6th channel was part of the picture. 'Matrixed' 6.1 from a 5.1 encoded source is no great shakes, and in fact less preferable to these ears than good-old 5.1.

Just some thoughts,

AM

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
If your thinking about going to a 5.1 setup definatly stop and listen to the Rotel 1055. Its a fantastic HT receiver but really shines while listening to music. It sounds great with Klipsch(which I own) and B&W speakers.

Herman S

Agent
I currently have a 6.1 setup and the only improvement in sound is with DTS-ES discrete sources. Unfortunately there are few titles available that utilize this format. I agree with the people above in saying that a good 5.1 set-up sounds better than having your reciever process 6.1 matrixed out of a 5.1 encoded disc. As a result my rear channel gets little use, however, I wanted it at my disposal as more DTS-ES discrete titles come out. It is also a futile attempt in my part to do as much "future proofing" as possible.

One possibility you might try is to purchase a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver and just use it for 5.1 for the time being. Usually the 6.1 and 7.1 receivers have more wattage,thus driving your speakers more effectively, so it won't be a waste of your money in purchasing features you might not use. This way as more sources utilize 6.1 you have the flexibility of adding another speaker.

Spiro A

Agent
I just purchased a denon 3802 and i did all my homework.
I even purchased a yamaha 1300 as i found a good deal $900.
can. I took it back after one night i had to realy push it hard and was not satisfed with overall sound was light .Let me tell you Ive own a yamaha 870 for years and the punch/sound in it was very good but no digital. The upgrade to the 3802 was alot better than I expected The 3802 is the best reciever in the $1500.can.range.Thats just three days old wow!!I think I
will be very happy it for year to come :b :b :b :b :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks