What's new

Best ~56" widescreen HDTV-ready RPTV for cable image quality? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I am interested in getting a widescreen HDTV-ready RPTV for

1. Watching DVD's with a Prog. Scan DVD player.

2. Watching cable TV

Since there is no HDTV around here, I will be watching a lot of cable TV, and when I was checking out sets, oh about a year ago, the line-doublers on these sets made watching cable almost impossible due to the squiggly, grainy image on a cable(or any other analog) signal.

Has anything changed now? What set has the least bothersome line-doubler these days? I looked at the Pioneer, Toshiba, and Sharp at BB, but the source was that HDTV loop they always play. Is any set available that you can turn off the line-doubler?

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I can't say that you'll find any of these sets that allow you turn off the line doubler, but you'll eventually get used to it. When I watch a football game, especially on the sat channels (I have digital cable) I do see some jags on certain angles of the football field. but when they line up and show the play, it looks some darn good I cannot look at sets anymore without line doublers.

You'll get used to it and than never want to go back. If you're really into it you can buy an really expensive line doubler later on, but try it you'll like!

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
MTrotter,
Several RPTVs now have very good line doublers and watching NTSC sources is no longer than painful exercise that is was in the past. IMO the best is Pioneer, either the Home or Elite lines. It is generally agreed that Pioneers have the best line doublers and stretch modes. I have a 53" SD-533 (non-Elite) that is primarily used for analog cable and DVDs and I am very happy with it.
The next best are the new Toshibas, either the 57HX81 or 57H81. They also have very good line doublers and stretch modes, although not quite the equal of the Pioneers. But the Toshibas do costs a little less than the Pioneer Home sets.
If you intend to watch a lot of cable I would avoid Mitsubishi. They are very good for DVD/HD viewing, but even most die-hard Mits fans will admit that the line doubler and stetch modes leave something to be desired. Many others will tell you the Mits line doubler and stretch modes are crap. ;)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
The Panny PT47WX49/51 allow you to turn off the line doubler, which is a nice feature. I have to admit, I leave mine on all the time. I do have say that I do not think the stretch modes on the Panny are the best. Many people like them, but I have yet to get used to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks