What's new

Best 56 inch LCD for High Def viewing? (1 Viewer)

Bradley_Z

Agent
Real Name
Bradley
A 56 inch LCD would be perfect for my room. I don't want to get a plasma because of the burn in issues as well as the fan noises and heat. In another thread, Alon Goldberg said "All major manufacturers will be releasing 1080p models in September, such as the new Sharp Aquos D90U Series and Sony Bravia XBR3 Series." I really don't want to go out and get confused by misleading marketing material, such as something that is not true 1080p or doesn't have all the inputs I'll need for the foreseable future.

I can see that the sony bravia and sharp aquos models are out, and that there is a 57 inch sharp aquos on their website. Would this sharp be my best bet, or is it smarter to wait another month for other manufacturers? If it would be smart to wait, how long would the wait be for the new tvs?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Personally, I can't see going with an LCD flat panel in that size range. The prices are insane because the production yields are so low. The viewing angle, black level and response time issues are all still there as they are at smaller sizes. For what a 56" LCD panel will cost you you could buy three or four 56" microdisplays, LCD RP, DLP or LCoS. You can't hang them on the wall, but they're a fraction of the size of comparable CRT-based RPTVs.

Of all the current technologies, I prefer Liquid Crystal on Silicon (sold as the SXRD line by Sony, and the HD-ILA line by JVC, both availabe in 1080p models.) LCoS seems to combine the most of the strengths of the other technologies (virtual immuntiy from permanent burn-in unless you abuse them outrageously, no screen door effect, no rainbow effect, excellent contrast and black levels, bright image, wide viewing angle, fast response time.) I bought a 720p JVC HD-ILA last year and love it. The Sonys looked even better, but I couldn't justify the extra cost. (I bought an LCD flat-panel for the bedroom with the difference. :)) But if you're looking at a 56" LCD, the SXRDs should be well within your budget. :)

I think you be doing yourself a favor if you at least took at look at some good microdsipalys unless you absolutely, positively have to hang this thing on your wall.

Regards,

Joe

Bradley_Z

Agent
Real Name
Bradley
I considered the other technologies, but I have to have it hanging on the wall. Right now I have a tapestry in my living room that I want replaced with a tv. I measured it and a 56 inch screen would be perfect. I went to best buy yesterday and couldn't really feel any heat coming from the tvs, but I couldn't tell if the fan was loud because of all the noise there.

I just seems like a plasma would be bad because almost all tv shows put their logo in the corner, even HD shows. I watch a lot of tennis and they leave the score in the top left corner. I also want to use it to play pc games and use it as a computer monitor, so I'm very concerned about burn in.

I don't have to go as big as 56 inches, but that would be the largest size based on the viewing distance. What would be a better price to size ratio?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, in fairness to plasma, it is much less prone to burn-in now than in the early days, especially if the set is properly adjusted and turned down from the "torch-mode" settings they all have coming out of the box.

The usual rule of thumb for flat-panel TVS has been that below 42" LCD is the best choice (because plasma technology involves certain basic costs that make aren't directly related to size - so a 30" plasma set wouldn't cost much less to make than a 40", and therefore can't compete on price with LCD) and over 42" plasma is the way to go because LCD becomes too expensive. (Or can't be made at all because the fabrication is too difficult.) Obviously both fabrication issues and production yield problems have been mitigated since we're starting to see much larger LCD panels that are closer in price to plasma.

Since I ruled out large flat panels when designing my updated home theater* I haven't followed the market and can't really give you any suggestions on viewing distance, angles or price/size comparisons. With luck others who know more than I will join the conversation. This chart might be helpful.

Regards,

Joe

* I did add three smaller LCD panels to my system: a 27" HDTV in my bedroom, and 26" and 32" sets to my home office. All three can and do double as computer monitors.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Bradley, if you are willing to drop ~$15,000 on the 57 inch Sharp, I'm sure you will like it. 58 inch Panasonic plasma is about half that. What Joseph said about burn in is true. Depending on how far back you will be sitting, fan noise may not be a problem. Let us know what you decide.
Acutally, 58 inch Panasonic is only $5,500.

Bradley_Z

Agent
Real Name
Bradley
I didn't realize that the price difference was so great. Now I'm thinking I should get a plasma after all. I'll be sitting 12 feet from the tv.

What plasma would you suggest that has the best picture quality and would minimize burn in?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I can see why. For that money you could buy a plasma today, keep it for running with the factory settings, then replace it with a newer and better technology (like maybe SED or bigger, cheaper LCD) by the time burn-in becomes an issue several years from now and still spend less than you would buying a big LCD today. :)

Regards,

Joe

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Bradley

At 12 feet a Panasonic plasma should not produce audible fan noise. The 58 inch Panasonic 720P TH58PX60U is highly regarded both for PQ and burn in.

However, if you really want 1080P, (and I think the question you need to answer is, are you planning on getting into high def DVD?), you will have to choose something else. So, if 1080P is sounding attractive to you, you probably should wait a couple more months to see what the prices are. Doing just a little browsing, I see that you can get the 58 Panasonic for $4,900 + $300 shipping, or right now at Circuit City for $5,250 with free basic delivery.
Ahh, choices, choices.

Finally, if you are so inclined I am willing to do some more research to try to determine where things stand with regard to 1080P plasma.

Bradley_Z

Agent
Real Name
Bradley

I think I understand the basics of high def viewing, but all these choices and technologies are very confusing. I'd appreciate help into which 1080p model produces the best picture quality. I'm going to get either an Xbox or Playstation 3, both of which have hdmi cables and can run at 1080p, and include (or will include) a high def DVD player. I'd also like to use the tv for pc games that run at high resolutions.

I also just want it for tv and movies, plus I watch a lot of tennis and I'd like to be able to see the ball and players in really high quality.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Bradley

I will check into the 1080P situation for you. I would just like to point out that I use a 65 inch Toshiba CRT RPTV (one of those 325 pound monsters) that displays HD at 1080i. I too watch a lot of tennis and I can mention a couple of things. For tennis, the bigger the screen the better. Second, on an HD channel, the ball, the lines, and everything else is really high quality. I watch from about 12 feet, and the image is not too large. I know you can't accommodate a 65 inch display, but get the biggest display you can manage. If Joe or others don't beat me to it, I should be able to get back to you within the next 24 hours.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I sit about 7 feet back from my 56" 720p JVC and everything looks spectacular. You can practically count the sitches on a baseball. The LCoS has a fan, but I've never noticed it when the surround sound system or even the built-in speakers are going. The only time I've ever been aware of it is late at night when my whole building is quiet and I've shut the entire system down. Then I tend to notice when the fat stops. It isn't so much that I hear the "noise" as that I notice when it stops and the place becomes even quieter.

Regards,

Joe

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Bradley

Panasonic will be releasing its 58 inch 1080P plasma around November. The MSRP will be in the $7,500 range. One last consideration. Plasma may be more problematic if you have a lot of ambient light in your viewing room that you can't control. If that is the case, you are back to LCD.

Bradley_Z

Agent
Real Name
Bradley

I do have quite a bit of ambient light in my viewing room, which is kind of pain to control because I have to close 5 sliding doors to get the room dark. That's fine if I'm making watching tv a big event like for a tennis major or a movie, but its a big pain if I just want to sit down in there and watch tv for a few minutes.

What new features or advantages does this new plasma that is coming out in November have? How much worse is a plasma with ambient light than an LCD? Is it worth the extra money?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks