What's new

Best $500 receiver w/ HDMI switching ? (1 Viewer)

Oxycontin

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Bailor
I posted a topic on the speakers/subwoofers board, and got some great answers as to my speaker needs. I'm putting together a home theater system, and going to spend about $2k. I think that $500 should be about what I should spend on the receiver.

My use for the receiver will be primarily for video games, and movies, but I think I defenitly will need an HDMI switching feature so I can hook up my cable box, upscaling DVD player, and Playstation 3 all through HDMI.

Room size is small, less than 500 sq feet. Speakers I will be purchasing will either be an Infinity, Axiom or Ascend set. I need to do more research here.

I was recommended the Denon AVR-2106, and have been looking at it.

What other suggestions would you have for this?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
The AVR-2106 has no HDMI capability...

The Denon AVR-2307 has 2 in, 1 out HDMI 1.1

I'd also look at the Yamaha RX-V1600 or, if your budget is really tight, consider the Pioneer 1016 or Pioneer Elite 80.

Caveat is though they all have 2 in, 1 out HDMI 1.1, the Playstation 3 will probably require HDMI 1.3 due out next year...

Good luck.

Oxycontin

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Bailor
Thanks a lot John, that Yamaha looks like a possibility even though its a little high on price for me. I also spend a few hours last night researching, and it looks like the best there is are 2 inputs for HDMI, with 1 out. That will be fine, as I can always just hook my cable box up through component.

What are opinions on Onkyo in general? I located this Onkyo TX-SR604, which has HDMI switching, but from what I've read on this forum, it sounds like Onkyo is considered kind of crappy. The good thing is, its in my price range at $470.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-My4cHnj...604B&s=0&cc=01

Thanks for input !

PerryD

Supporting Actor

I can't imagine that Onkyo is considered crap. I would put them in a tier with Denon, Yamaha, and Marantz.

Oxycontin

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Bailor
Ok, thank you. I think I just had a general feeling from reading on these boards that Onkyo was on a lower teir than Marantz, H/K, Denon, etc. I don't really know where I got the idea from.

Jacob C

Second Unit

It doesnt have switching if I remember correctly. 1 in, 1 out That said, I like mine a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks