Best $500 package

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Bohlke, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

I have a friend who's looking for a complete 5.1 package + receiver for $500. I told him he won't get much, but that's his ceiling. He also won't go for mains now and surrounds later--it's a one shot deal. Any suggestions on good packages??

2. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Hmm, $500 won't get you much. You can get those panasonic HT all in one for around $500. Sounds decent.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The Kenwood HTB-544 is the best HTB you can buy for the money. It has a decent reciever with Pro-logic II. The spekers and sub are sufficient.

4. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/f...ductsearch.jsp
    This looks worth taking a second look at (Onkyo). If you get a chance to go to Circuit City, make a point to listen to this. It comes equipped with DD, DTS, Dolby Prologic (and II). Plenty of power. It might be a good find.
    As stated above, the Panasonic and Kenwood could be some other good picks.

5. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I have listen to the Onkyo HTS-650. It sounds very good for that price range.

6. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

I'm doing the same thing... $500 max budget. Here's what I'm doing...
    Onkyo TX-SR500 - $270 (www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com)
    HTD Level ONE 5.1 speaker set $150 (www.htdaudio.com)
    Lots of inexpensive (but decent quality) NXG cables - $80 (www.abuys.com)
    Should come in about the same $$$ as the Kenwood HTiB, and sound better. At least that's what folks here have told me... I'm still waiting on the speakers to ship (any day now). Once I get it all set up, I'll be sure to post!

7. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

Thanks for the feedback

Jeff--let me know how the speakers sound once you get them--I can't imagine 5.1 speakers for $150 will sound decent, but I've never heard HTDs. I hope you're pleased w/ them.

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd suggest you refer your friend to these forum sites so he can read some of the various inputs of us hobbists and hopefully learn from our mistake. If he's looking to save money he might find out that a budget system is an appetizer for a bigger meal and he could of had a better main course if he didn't waste his time on an appetizer that he may regret having tried out (I know it's hard but sometimes they might need to see the opinion of others and not you because some people don't really take a finacial advice from friends on what is perceived as a possible big ticket item, been there and done it unfortunately).

I bet most us wish instead of buying our first or second (or in my case even third) system that we just simply broke down and bought a much better overall setup initially.

9. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend a Sherwood 7106 (DD/DTS and all channel pre-outs allows room to grow) or used AVR (this might be the way to go as this should only be about $225), maybe a used set of JBL NSPs (about $200-250 shipped), and he might have to wait on a sub though if he really needs a sub he could maybe build one from a cheap car driver (like a cheap Pioneer Car sub from best buy for example) assuming he has a cheap amp at home to power it. If he wants anything of quality he's going to have to go used.

If his DVD player already has a DD decoder, then he might can buy a used AVR with 5.1 inputs instead and trim another $100 on the AVR budget.

You stated he won't get mains now and rears later but you also didn't state he won't get the center later. If this is the case he might best be off buying 4.1 speakers now and get the center later.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Systems with receivers in a wide variety of price ranges:HiFi.com Sometimes they have a deal going on where they throw in a cheap DVD player also.