Best 50" - 56" HDTV ???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan Toth, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

OK guys ... I've been trying to convince my wife to get a new TV for a while, and I think I've finally turned a corner and convinced her. So ..... since it's been a while since I've actually looked into getting one, I figured where better to turn than the HTF for some advice ..... What would be the best recommendations for a 50" - 56" HDTV ??? I've been looking at mainly DLPs and ILA sets in my browsing (trying to keep the price lower than $3K if I can). Assuming I'm not going to buy another one for quite a while, should I invest in 1080p now, or is it not even worth it ???

Just as a reference point, I've currently got a 7 or 8 year old Mitsubishi 46805 set .....

Thanks,

Bryan

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

At the 50-56 inch size, I would hold out for a good 50 inch plasma. And that means 2 things.

1) No 1080P.
    2) Going over your budget by ~$400-$500.

My second choice would be the 50 inch Sony SXRD. The same 2 compromises mentioned for plasma apply. I think I remember when either BB or CC had a sale on the SXRD that would have made it $3,150.

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I've been candy shopping also for my next upgrade. My Panny 47" still looks great and works fine (knock on plastic), but I have a feeling in the next year or two, I be upgrading. The bulb life on these DLP's, LCD's, ILA's, worries me because I really don't want to deal at replaceing the bulb every 6 months to an year.

I am convinced that I will get a 50" plasma when it's time to upgrade. By then, plasma would have mature and hopefully 1080p.

Space is not a issue for the room, but unless they get the bulb life figure out, I won't go near them.

4. Bryan Toth

Yeah ... I've looked at the SXRDs (in fact I was looking at the 50" at BB today .... it was $3348, I think ...) With a sale, I'd probably be able to convince my wife to go for it ....

I just know that I won't be able to buy another big set for a while, so I thought I'd try to "future-proof" myself enough with 1080p so I wouldn't feel bad about the purchase in a year ....

Bryan

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If you can wait until late summer there will be a new line of Sony SXRDs without the dumbo ear speakers and capable of accepting 1080p, at msrps much lower than the current models. Samsung will have a new line of 1080p DLP sets in a couple of months.

Right now the Toshiba 56HM195 1080p DLP set can be had for 3kish. Tosh had some bulb problems with these but recently announced an extension of the original 1 year warranty to 2 years on the bulb. You have to go to their site and enter the serial number of your set to see if you qualify. When Home Theater magazine tested 1080p sets, they rated the SXRD tops, JVC DILA and Toshiba dlp tied for second.

6. Bryan Toth

Yeah ... I think I can probably wait until summer (esp. if it's going to save me some $$$) ...I do like what I've seen of the Sony sets and if they've got newer models without the speakers, It definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in .... I really just want to get something that will support HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/whatever comes next without any fear of analog constraint. Well, that and my set is just getting old and while it still works, just doesn't have nearly as nice a picture as all the sets I'm seeing today.

Bryan

7. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal

You are describing the television I've been dreaming of. Can you reference the site or your source for these potential changes to the SXRD units? Thanks!

8. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
  9. Patrick Bond

Patrick Bond Auditioning

Before seeing the last 2 posts by Johnal, I would have said the JVC 56" ILA...simply because it has a better picture than the non-1080 Samsungs and it doesn't have the bulb reliability problems like the Toshibas. The Sony would be a killer choice, but was a little over the budget you stated. Is it the best performer of the ones listed?, I think so. The JVC comes close(in some ways) but the Sony delivers the goods. Seeing the new thinner SXRDs w/ no side speakers just solidified my top rear projection choice. It'll be interesting to see the pricing when it officially comes out. I work at BB and there's been no talk just yet of us getting it so who knows. I do like the new SXRD though.

FYI...if you're wondering about the Toshiba DLPs, I've personally sent a 46", a 52", and 2 46" models to our service center for bulb replacement in the past 2 months....they're going through them like underwear. I believe Toshiba did a recall on the bulb or made some sort of annoucement about the bulbs not being very long lasting. Something to keep an eye on.

(All my opinions on TVs are based on what we carry in store..not including Magnolia HT because we havent gotten that rebuild yet. I've done my research on many models and brands that we don't carry, but i'll be more familiar with the models we get in our store...any questions about BB pricing and such, you can direct to me)

10. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Over 380 hours on my Lamp since Feb. 1st, already have a spare from eBay, just waiting for this original bulb to blow!?!?!? My 56HM195 S/N qualifies for the extended 2-year Bulb warranty and for those that already had them replaced will also receive another (2nd) re-designed updated Lamp Blub around May! Thanks Toshiba!

Just love my crystal clear HD TV broadcasts and HDMI upconverted 1080i DVD's!!!

Phil

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Last I read the Sony sxrd sans dumbo ears will debut in August. These are a new line of SXRDs, available in 50, 55, and 60 inch screen sizes and will accept 1080p over HDMI. They are not designated as XBR models, will carry the Bravia designation. There will be 2 new XBR sxrds, in 60 and 70" sizes. They both will have the side speakers but it's been reported that these will be removable on the 70" model.

Also coming are 3 new LCD models in 46, 50, and 55" sizes, these will be 720p and look to be based on the current excellent A-10 series.

12. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Can you please link your source? I'm really curious about this.

13. BrianAnderson

BrianAnderson Auditioning

Haven't seen mention of the new Samsung 5679. 56 inch, 1080p, LED light source instead of traditional lamp. Better longevity, no color wheel/rainbows, no dumbo ears, better bulb life, 1080p inputs!

14. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    I would love to see the Samsung 5679 along side Sony's SXRD 55" model for comparision when it becomes available. Both sound extremely promising.

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I don't think I'm allowed to post links to other sites, maybe try AVS forums Rear Projection section.

16. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    wow...okay... I've never actually visited that forum before, but it's a tad crazy. There are some very knowledgeable people there, but I find myself annoyed with the presence of trolls galore.

Originally I had my heart set on the 55" unit, but since I will be wanting the XBR model, it seems like I'm stuck with the 60" version when it becomes available. Aw, shucks! [​IMG]

I usually try and avoid purchasing brand-new models or series of a product when it first becomes available so they can work out the kinks and bugs. (Lets face it... QC will always come 2nd to $ for a company.) However, due to my lack of patience, I'm trying to determine whether going for the 06' model of the 60" tv as soon as it's available will be a safe purchase or if it will have some bugs to work out. Anyone know if there were any problems with last years models initially?

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I know there are a a number of quality control issues with the current SXRDs (the infamous "green blob," convergence problems, etc.). Hopefully, there will be fewer issues in the new models.

18. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Does anyone know if the forthcoming 70 inch SXRD will be significantly less expensive than the current 70 inch Qualia SXRD, (that is about $12,000)?

19. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

It should be significantly cheaper than the Qualia, my guess would be 6k-ish.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the new "non-xbr" models being significantly inferior to the xbrs as far as basic picture quality, mostly the xbrs will have more bells and whistles and perhaps some extra connectivity options. Chances are they'll be at least as good as and probably better than the current xbrs in pq.

Back in fall of '01 Sony introduced the HW-40 series non-xbr widescreen hd-ready crt sets, and they were significantly better than the previous model year's xbrs, and a couple of years ago the XS series midline lcds were actually more advanced than the xbrs which were carried over from the previous generation. XBRs had a couple of connectivity options the others didn't have, but pq wasn't as good.

20. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

You've discovered the major difference to me (I might be a bit biased [​IMG] ) between the HTF and lots of "other" sites. A site that is not moderated like ours here quickly gets out of control. It's not a lot of fun to get trolled to death by people with agendas other than the topic at hand.

That said, I will be the first to admit that I use other sites that are heavy into hardware for some basic information because of some of the knowledgeable people there. And, as a moderator here I have developed a rather thick skin so trolls don't bother me (+ I usually know what I'm talking about and can spot B.S. a mile away). I also have no problem in pointing people to other sites if they want a wealth of information. Just realize you have to possess the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

A good analogy would be my use of the International Movie DataBase. The IMDB is a treasure trove of information about movies and other entertainment items and I use it all the time. However, I would never ever consider discussing films over there since that's not its primary advantage. See what I mean?

And to get this topic back on track, I still consider the HP MD5880p the best set out there and I understand that now it can be had for under $3K. Those familiar with my experiences with this set (and my review on the HTF here) know that it's a love/hate relationship. As of this writing, it's still my set of choice (I saw all the others at CEDIA 2005) and it is truly eye candy. That said, I'm also excited about some of the new technologies and the fact that other great sets (like the SONY SXRDs) will be coming out with 1080p inputs in 2006. I'm not too sure whether they will hit the $3K price point right away though.

If you need a set now, my choice is the 58" HP because it is one of the few 1080p input games in town. If you can wait a few months there will be many, many other options.