1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best 5-disc player for progressive AND interlaced?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Bunk, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I'm looking to get a 5-disc player, but I don't have an HDTV right now. I hope to have one by the end of the year. I'm in the market for a new player now, so I'd like to get a player capable of progressive scan now to avoid having to buy a new playr again. However, I've read that some progressive scan players don't look very good on interlaced mode. I'd like to be able to use the player on my 36" RCA tube tv until I do get an HDTV.

I'm currently considering the Philips DVD793CH and the Sony DVP-NC655P. Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

2. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

Most Progressive Scan single DVD players have a switch in the back to go to IL or PS. I recommend Toshibas SD-4800 it has that switch, zooming mode icon can be turned off easily and the player can play DVD-A (Audio) for less than $200 at www.jandr.com

When you buy your HDTV you can switch it to PS or buy a 300 + 1 DVD player with progressive can for $399 or less, don't let sell you a 5 disc when for another $100 you can hold up to 300 + 1. Out of dust and handing for as long as you own your set. Just my solution as discs fall to the floor, then you need a replacement
    not too cheap and if it's not a OOP.[​IMG]

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I highly recommend the Panasonic CP72. Awesome 480p picture, DVD-A & DVD-RAM. Also, no chroma bug (unlike the Toshiba).