What's new

Best 5 channel amp under 3K (1 Viewer)

Bruce.sb

Grip
Hey all--need to get a amp for my mc-1. Lots of amps out there to look at-- wondering what you all like. thanks. Bruce

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
What speakers you driving?

My list would include (new or used):
Theta Intrepid
Bryston 9B ST or SST
Audio Refinement Multi-5
Pass Labs X-5

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Bruce,

(Looks like you resolved your 8000 problems)

I just put a CineNova in my system (300wpc x 5) and I would say unless you need "balanced input" it is "THE" amp to look at. Although it lists for $4500, street price is closer to your ball park.

If your down in LA, your welcome to give a listen.

John

Bill*Markowitz

Auditioning
Check out Parasound. They have a 200W/ch x 5 amp that is THX Ultra cert and goes for $1999. I know it's $1000 less than you WANT to spend but maybe you can think of something else your system needs for the extra grand.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
One interesting option is ATI's new 3000 series amp which should be out soon. Full MSRP is $1995 for the 2 channel version, and you can add individual monoblock channels to the chassis for $400 MSRP per channel. 300 watts per channel at 8 ohm.True balanced design, input to output for when you trade your MC-1 up to a MC-12B ;)

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
I have to 2nd the Cinenova Grande, it's available in both a 3 channel and 5 channel versions. I have had the 5 channel (paid $2000) about 2 years ago and recently upgraded my PrePro to the B&K Ref 50 to use with my Cinenova and B&W's. Great detail, warm, and very easy to use and tweak.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Get the Lexicon NT512 120x5 and NT212 120x2 amps. These are rebadged Bryston ST amps that tested 160 wpc and retail $900 per channel, but are going for 450 per channel on the used market, with transferable 10 year warranties. The brystons have 20 year warranties! For ~ 2700, you get 6k worth of amps, 7 highend monoblocks, and two amps that match the MC1 faceplate.

SC Trojan

Agent
Real Name
Gary
I second the sherbourn. They have a new 7 channel unit which allows briding of 6 of them if needed for the ultimate in headroom. It also has balanced inputs where the cinenova does not. If you are looking for the cinenova, look at the ATI2505 on discount since they are about the same amp.

The rotel 1095 is ok, but needs to be matched with the right type of speaker and did not provide as much output as others.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Sherbourn 7/2100 amp. 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms. 300 watts at 4 ohms. Monoblock construction. 7 seperate power supplies, 7 seperate toridal transformers, etc. a 115 lb beast that will drive. And the company's service is beyond compare. Shoot me an email and I can put you in touch with the company I purshased from. WELL under your budget. Check out their web site. www.sherbourn.com

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Are you not planning on using Logic7? If you are than i suppose you need to really look for maybe one the new 7Channel amps out these days like the Sherbourne or Outlaw. I have the Outlaw matched with a Lex DC2 (same sonically) and im quite happy with it..

Bruce.sb

Grip
Hi brian-- yes im going to be using L7.. I have a mc-1 sitting here looking at me like the dog wanting to be let out...lol I just ended up getting the earthquake Cinenova Grande 5.. Read around what people are saying about this amp--- people love it-- 10 yr warrenty-- not to expensive-- sounds great-- and has 300x5 for 8ohms.003thd and 600x5 for 4 ohms/.006thd... --- they run cool-- sound great and are big heavy pigs--lol 140lbs gross weight--lol...

oh and was im going to do is start with the 300x5 with the cinenova---cause all i have room for his a 5.1 system- but once i move then get their 3 channel 300x5... that will power everything in a 7.1 system-- then ill be :D

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Bruce,
Good decision. I have an MC-1 and sold my Parasound 2205 for the Cinenova 5 channel. I am using a Parasound 2003a for the rear 2 channels. Wow,Talk about work putting that amp into the rack! Rock On!

System:
Lex MC-1
Cinenova Grande 5/Parasound 2003a
Von Schweikert Audio Vr3.5 L/R Center LCR35 Surrounds TS350

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

I know what you mean, I just upgraded the cables on my system which meant moving my Cinenova. Next thing to schedule is a chiropractor visit, boy is that thing heavy but boy does it sound nice!

B&K Ref 50, Cinenova Grande 5 channel, B&W Matrix 805's etc....

Cheers,

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
H/K 520, Cinenova Grande 3, PSB Stratus Goldis
Uhmm yeah..i just wanted to feel special too but anyways that thing is murder...i think my back cracked a few times when i stood back up....

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
ATI is coming out with a more modest priced, modular 7 channel amp that has exactly the same build as the 3000 series, but with only ~200 watts/channel instead of ~300 watts/channel.

The difference in the balanced XLR inputs between the ATI and the Sherbourn is that the ATI circuitry topography is completely balanced from the input until it reaches the speaker binding posts (even the power transformer is balanced). Unless Sherbourn has changed their design the XLR balanced inputs quickly become unbalanced as the amp is not truly a balanced design.

Also, at least on the 3000, you do need a dedicated 20 amp circuit and 20 amp outlet. I don't know about the smaller balanced amp.

I'm curious to see how ATI improved their stuff. I like my 1505 right now, but later on could go with more juice if I get the speakers I want. I did read one review of the 3000 series by Brent Butterworth (sp?) in his new ultra-high end Home Theater magazine put out by the Robb Report that stated it was a clear contender to take on the boutique brands (like Theta) for power and about 95% of the sound quality (and costs a lot less), for what it's worth. Build quality is still top notch.

Dan

Bruce.sb

Grip
hey guys--well a update-- instead of a cinenova 5-- i got two cinenova 3's... This way i break my power up between 2 cords-have less heat in each case--plus i can now run a full 5.1 system and power a sub(keeping the amp out of the sub box and away from all that vibration ect)(i only have room for 5.1 instead of 7.1 in case you were wondering)- All for just about the same price as the cin 5 was going to be... seemed like a good way to go.. Plus they only weigh one miiiillllioooonnnn pounds instead of two million--lol actually each 3 channel will weigh in at 105lbs vs the 140 for the 5 channel--so should be easier to move.

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
Good choice Bruce..

I just got my Cinenova 5 channel about two weeks ago.... Man is that sucker heavy. Thank god for the handles! I was thinking the 2 threes BUT I wanted to save room so I got the 5. That wooden crate... when I got it the UPS driver looked at me like I was crazy! He helped me into the house with it. Hope you enjoy your new purchase, I know I did mine.

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator

That's funny ... Home Theater just tested the Bryston SST's in their last issue and they were in the neighbourhood of 126 wpc ...

What's up with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks