What's new

Best 5.1 Speakers For $1,500? (1 Viewer)

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
What are the best 5.1 speakers for around $1,500 for all 5 speakers (2 bookshelf size) and the subwoofer? They will be used primarily for home theater. I'm looking for full, rich, warm "wall of sound" types. Here are a few systems that I am considering:

-Paradigm Titans
-Paradigm Focus
-Klipsch Cinema 8
-Rocket ELT
-Axiom Epic Masters
-Totem Acoustics Dream Catchers
-JBL Northridge E Series

Any one have any of these systems who can provide guidance? Thank you.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would say give a strong look to 2 pairs of Swans Diva 2.1s and a C3 center then add a SVS 25-31PCi or PB1-ISD. I have the 2.1s. I've in the past had Titans and the original JBL Northridge series and the Swans are in a completely different class. They offer a very neutral sound and are very clear w/out being bright or harsh at all. The cabinetry is excellent and the service from www.theaudioinsider.com is very good. If you're considering Axiom and Rocket then Swans definitely deserve a strong look as well. I would stay away from Klipsch if you're looking for a warm sound. In the price range you're looking I would also stay away from micro-satelite type speakers and also look for a strong full-sized sub to pick up the low end. The sub in the ELT system is it's weakness but your budget leaves room for a better sub anyway.

Hope this helps :)

FoT

Auditioning
? :confused: :eek: are you serious? i've never even heard axiom owners describe the sound like this!

FoT

Auditioning

Greg,

the rich, full, warm sound is generally associated with speakers that produce a full midrange. over the course of auditioning and owning many, many speakers, i've found that av123 speakers deliver that full midrange to provide that fuller, warmer sound. if you were able to increase your budget by a few hundered dollars, i think the rockets may be an even better match for you, but if you need to stick to a strict budget of $1.5K, i feel the ELTs may be the best fit especially if you ran the elt-cse across the front 3 channels. the elt-c really has a full midrange presence.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
True dat....:D

Not for warm. But the Epic Master, that uses the M3 is the "warmest" speaker out of the Axiom bunch. Not all Axioms adhere to the generalizations that they are known for...just like Rockets.

In fact, I have never heard any of those mention in his post as warm.

I have heard the ELT CSe as a center channel, and would not classify that as warm either. I do agree that the other Rockets that I have heard do have emphasis on the mids which presents themselves as warmer.

I agree with Fo...if you want the emphasized mids, and can handled a bit of increase in your budget, have a listen to his Rockets(nice cabinets by the way too). But if you want a neutral or accurate speaker, which is my preference, and why I would prefer the Epic Master setup from Axiom. I might throw the Paradigm Focus in there as well for warmth/mids...but I did not spend a lot of time listening to them.

Have you been to the stores to listen?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I had the exact same quandary a few years back, and I went with Norh 4.0s all around w/ an SVS 20-39 PCi. I've never second-guessed myself since...

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
I can't seem to find a good place to listen to these speakers to compare them. My problem is that I am not able to listen to most of these systems to compare them, so I am looking for comments from those that have them or who have compared them. Thanks.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
NEED TO KNOW A LOT MORE INFORMATION about your room ,where they will be placed/mounted, listening habits, prefered volume levels, source gear, tastes in music/movies/games/tv.......anyone who gives advice before knowing these things might be misinforming you....
you should also include your likes and dislikes in referance to other gear so that we may feel out a little about your preferances...and a room scetch would be nice 9including such things as what's on the walls, covering the floors, building materials, etc....

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
based on comments, I've narrtowed it down to I'd just like a few comments from those who have compared the speakers I have listed (plus the Swan 2.1 divas). Thanks.

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
Ignore last message.

I'd just like a few comments from those who have compared the speakers I have listed (plus the Swan 2.1 divas, so I can narrow it down to two or three. So far, leaning toward Rockets, Axiom, or Swan. Thanks.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Based on the three you've chosen you need to decide what kind of sound you really like. They all three have differenc sonic characteristics. The Rockets are going to be the warmest of the bunch.The Swans are going to sound very neutral and remain clear (but not bright) but still have plenty of depth in the mid and lower end. The Axioms are a very bright speaker.

Hope this helps.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Stephen...have you heard the Rocket ELT or the Axiom M3Ti? The ELT does not follow the generalized Rocket characteristic, nor does the M3Ti follow the generalized Axiom characteristic.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've heard the M3Ti and while it's probably the least bright of the Axiom line up it's still not a warm or even a neutral speaker. I haven't heard the ELTs.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Just so I understand your frame of reference, other than your Swans, what would you consider neutral?

Kevin*Ha

Agent
Please keep in mind the ELT LRS and Cse's sound very different when compared in a 2-channel configuration. Neither really conforms to the "Rocket" sound, but of the two the Cse are much, much closer to it than the LRS.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Some neutral speakers in similar price range that come to mind are the Polk RT/RTi lines, Energy Conesours, and B&W 600 series. While these speakers all sounded very neutral to me they all also had sonic qualities that made them less than impressive for the price. The Polks were the most impressive brick/mortar speakers I heard in the price range but still not up to par of the internet direct offerings.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
So far, leaning toward Rockets, Axiom, or Swan. Thanks.

end quote

so much for my signature line

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
After much help from this forum, I've purchased the Swan system: Swan Diva 2.1s, C3, and R3s (black cherry) from The Audio Insider. I'm also going to pre-order SVS PB10-ISD. Total price: $1476.

Now - what receiver for around $500 for this system (primarily for home theater)?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks