What's new

Best 5.1 set up for about $1500 (1 Viewer)

nezz621

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I'm looking for a few suggestions regarding speakers and subs for a 5.1 system im planning on putting together soon. Bass isnt a huge concern, but i do like the front speakers to have decent bass.

Also, i'll probably just use a set of my old speakers for the rears just to save some cash. I hear JBL and paradigm are good options, any other suggestions?

ChrisTes

Agent
I have JBL northridge in the front and older JBLs for rears. They are supurb. I wish I would have gotten floorstanding speakers for the front though. Now the new JBL line is the venue series. I don't like the look of them as much. Also, it seems that there are less options/fewer models. At any rate, You would be able to put together a pretty nice system for well under $1500 unless you went with the studio series of JBL. Then it would cost more than your suggested cap. I haven't heard them, but if they sound as good as they cost in relation to the lower priced JBL offerings they would be great. I hope this helps some.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
My recommendation is:
HTD Level 3 Towers $700
http://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Tower...c=7&category=9
HTD Level 3 Center $179
http://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Cente...c=7&category=9
HTD Level 3 Bookshelves $279
http://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Books...c=7&category=9
Since I dont know how their subs perform I will suggest a SVS subwoofer to close the show even though it will probably stretch your budget a little but just buy their cheapest one.
I just auditioned Usher 6311 and B&W 603 and I am even happier to own my towers.
Regards

steveKlein

Agent
on a $1,500 budget, i personally would go ahead and get a good 'woofer. A good sub is going to be better for bass than fronts.... even good fronts.

Check out offerings from SVS. They make fantastic subs. An Ascend Acoustics package (340se's on the front... htm-200s in the rear) accompanied with a killer SVS sub could be had for about 1500-1700 dollars... and you won't get much improvement without spending three times that much money!

Jacob C

Second Unit

I would reccomend ascend as well but I would go with 170s in the rear, and possibly up front too depending ont the size of the room. Check out HSU subs too.

Isaiah

Auditioning
I would second the ascend acoustics 170's with an SVS PB-10. If your not against pre-owned you can get some nice Paradigm Studio fronts, mini monitors for surrounds, and an SVS PB10 for subwoofer.

steveKlein

Agent

the reason i mentioned the htm-200s is because he was trying to save money on rears and we are already slughtly over his budget. also... i think 170s are overkill for home theater usage. now... if he is a heavy duty audiphile music listener... then i could definitely justify 170s in the back... but if not the 200s may be his best choice.

nezz621

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Thanks everyone for the help! so far i've decided to go with the HTM's for the fronts and center. I think i've got something already for rears, AND i have an old 100 watt sub. the only problem is that its a big room, so im gonna need to get a better sub and possibly use them both.

With this kind of set up, whats a low priced receiver for no more than 500 dollars

Once again thanks for help :)

steveKlein

Agent

you have tons of options at receiver. there are loads of quality receivers that will be fine in the 200-500 dollar range. just get one that you find aesthetically pleasing and one that might have some frills that you might use (iPod or XM ready? RS232 jack? HDMI switching?) you get the point... i've owned lots of these mid-fi receivers... and i think yamaha, denon, onkyo, harman-kardon, outlaw, marantz, and panasonic all make good products.

however, i'm a bit confused with your speaker selection... HTM-200s for the front? pretty small speaker and not nearly exhausting your price range... perhaps it was a typo or i just misread that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks