1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Best 5.1 Home Theater Speakers for Under $1,000

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg Labate, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Greg Labate

Greg Labate Stunt Coordinator

What do you recommend for the best 5.1 home theater speakers (without receiver)for under $1,000?

Further, any good 5.1 complete sets out there? And where is a good place to but online?

2. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

JBL makes some good bang for your buck speakers. For instance, looking around on the net, you can get some good deals on their Northridge E line:

E100 3-way towers, $600/pair
    EC35 center, $150
    E10 surrounds, $90/pair

Top it off with a Dayton 10" subwoofer for $125 and your're under $1000. Of course, you have to take into account any possible shipping charges if you buy online.

If you're interested in JBL, go over to www.jbl.com. They have a list of all their authorized online dealers. You may be able to find better prices than the ones I listed, possibly free shipping, as well.

I've also heard good things about Athenas. Best Buy carries them at good prices. The also carry JBLs but usually at MSRP.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Darren

3. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

It's also been stated in a few reviews that if your staying under $1,000. then Fluance is an incredible deal, and its way under a thousand I got the SX-HTB set for $322. and Ill tell you, they rock, Ive stated it in other threads as well. But definetly worth checking into. No sub is included, but for that price you could buy an SVS and still stay under a thousand and have a really great system.

4. John S

John S Producer

ecost still has JBL s36II's in stock... Get enough for every location including the center channel.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Towers up front or bookshelves ?

7. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It would seem to me that if you're looking for advice about speakers that this thread should be in the Speakers/Subwoofers area, not the A/V Sources area. Which is where I've moved it.

9. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I will also recommend JBL, I love my JBL setup along with an SVS subwoofer (20-39PCi). My S38II's are discontinued, but the JBL E50's are just about the same in every way (I own both S38/E50), along with the EC35 for the center, and E10's or N24II's for surrounds.

I got my setup at onecall.com w/ free shipping

-E50 $250/pr
    -EC35 $145
    -E10 90/pr

=$485

and you have enough for an SVS 25-31PCi $550

Its just a little over 1k but probly the best you can get.

And I highly recommend bookshelves with a good sub vs. Floors with a not so good sub, unless you are into 2ch. music.

-Nathan

10. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I bought a set of Bic America's Acoustech speakers. They are very similiar to Klipsch design using a horn tweeter and a 12" sub which is very similiar or suspected made by HSU. The whole 5.1 set was $799 including shipping. They can be found at your local Costco or ordered directly from BIC America.

11. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    I can second the ELT system from AV123. The center channel will take it a step above anything I have heard for the $$$$ ... also look at Ascend and Axiom... they have system advisors which are a big help...

12. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

Greg i would check out Fluance. i have 6.1 set up. they are great speakers. they have a great sound. with money you save you can get the svs sub, and your system will be hot.