Best 42" widescreen HDTV for around 1,400

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DanMcVicker, Dec 30, 2003.

1. DanMcVicker

DanMcVicker Auditioning

I am looking to purchase a nice TV that will put out a good quality picture that is a decent size. Eventually I will be upgrading to a projector most likely. When I move into my new house. But I don't exactly know when that will be. So any info would be appriciated.

2. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i know the toshiba 42h83 sells for about 1400, suppose to be a good set except for maybe horizontal lines on screen, do a search.

3. joey mr

joey mr Stunt Coordinator

well these are good sets but a couple of inches bigger

sony 46" 510
    panny 47" wx53

and the tosh 42"h 42 is good to but does have issues [​IMG]

4. DanMcVicker

DanMcVicker Auditioning

I was looking at a Mitsu. Not too sure how they fare though.

5. joey mr

mits are great sets but make sure you get this years model because i think it will have the better stretch mode [​IMG]

6. Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a Panasonic 47" PT47wx53 HDTV from Best Buy for 1423.00 and I looked at some of the ones mentioned above.

I decided on the Panny because of price, size, and features.

I also researched reviews and found barely nothing bad about this model. I went to Cnet.com for some reviews but you can put in any model and find something.

So far I am happy with it. I am not sure whether I need to get that DVD Essentials to use it for anything. I like what I am seeing so far, only thing is some of my broadcast shows look odd on account I dont have a HDtv Setbox.
    But for DVDs it is nice for the money.

Just my 2cents

7. joey mr

yes i agree with that and that is why i am going to pick up my secound rptv and it will be be the panny [​IMG]

8. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

The Panny is a nice set, I have the older model (wx42), but I've had a lot of issues with my set. Maybe its from a bad batch, or I'm just jinx, but I've only had it for about an year and so far, its been service for the 5th or 6th time.

Of course after having all 3 guns replaced within 4 months explains the service calls and today I am waiting for another service call because there is some discoloring in the picture, due to an adjustment (hopefully) that was done a week ago.

When working, the set displays fantastic pictures in HD and DVD.

I bought this set for many of the same reasons, but I'm hesitated to suggest for anyone to buy Panny.

All brands have their issues, but if you look on this forum, there are many post on Panny's problem from users like us.

I would do my research indept and prehaps going with a different brand.

I will be lucky if the TV will last me for 5 years and when it comes at replacing it, it will be very hard to trust the same brand.

At this point, I will not buy another Panasonic again, but we have to see when its time to upgrade. Hopefully later than sooner.

Good luck and I really hope no one have the same problems.

The TV really works well when it is performing up to the standards that you expect from a major brand.

9. DanMcVicker

DanMcVicker Auditioning

Thank you for all of your imput. I am still unsure as to what set to go with. I will probally do some more research before I make a decision.

10. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

Why NOT an Infocus X1 at $999?

11. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Perhaps because the X1 (and other FPs) is more difficult to set up and it can't do HD.

12. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

A digital projector is a cinch to setup, and the picture of an X1 at 540p while not HD is still stunning and guaranteed to be more impressive than 1080i at 42".

Furthermore the Sanyo PLV-Z2 at $1950 displays TRUE HD at 106".

13. HarryS

HarryS Extra

I'm enjoying my Mits 42313 so far. 1499 at sears, probably on sale as I type this.

14. DanMcVicker

DanMcVicker Auditioning

I would love to have a projector.....but when I get into things to a certain degree I like to have the best, which is way to expensive for me as far as projectors is concerned. Plus I am not to familiar with them yet. They probally aren't very complicated, I just haven't read into them too much.

15. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

Dan-

I understand. I'd like to contribute two things

A)I suspect that unless you're moving up from a very small TV that you will find 42" unsatisfactory
    B)The Sanyo PLV-Z2 *IS* the best, at least it's debateable, it's not like a secondary thing.

16. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you can really compare the Z2 to a $1400 RPTV.

The Z2 is $2k and you need a screen ($200-$800?)on top of that. Even at that price, it won't do 1080i.

The $1400 RPTV, although small will do 1080i out of the box.

17. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

I just got the panny 47wx53 from ultimate electronics. Talked 'em down to $1200, if I bought the 5 year warranty. Normally I don't get those, but this one didn't seem too bad. $200 for 5 years, and if I don't use the warranty, in 5 years I get $100 back.

Not the best looking set out there for this size, but very very good for the money, IMHO.

18. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I recently had Gregg Loewen calibrate my 42" Mitsubishi and am constantly amazed by the stunning images. I sit 6 feet away, so HDTV and DVDs look incredible. If you will be sitting 6-10 feet away, I don't think you'll find the size "unsatisfactory". I wanted an RPTV that would fit into an existing entertainment center and the Mitsubishi was the only "tabletop" model that would fit. You can see what it looks like here.

19. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

David, nice job covering the Mits speakers & the center speaker. The screen seems to "float" beautiful in the ent. center. [​IMG]

20. DanMcVicker

DanMcVicker Auditioning

David-

Your setup looks really nice.

Since that projector is only about 2,800 total thats not too bad. About how much would it cost to make a projector setup look as good as, say that mitsu?