Best $400 to $500 Receiver For My Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kage, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

What is the best $400 to $500 receiver for my speakers. My speakers are the Polk Audio's: RTi38, CSi30, and FXi30, and my subwoofer is the Yamaha YST-SW305.

I do not want any Harman Kardon receivers, because I do not like what they look like and I tried one out and some of the inputs were loose and I think that HK has a lot of quality control issues, because I see a lot of refurbished HK's on the internet.

I want a receiver that sounds great in music and great in movies. In my comparison in another thread I compared the Yamaha HTR-5660, Onkyo TX-SR601, and HK AVR-230. Yesterday, I took back the Onkyo because its length size is a little longer then my entertainment center's shelf and its sound quality was a litte flat movies. Right now I am using the Yamaha HTR-5660 and I am thinking of returning it, because it started to sound bright with my Polk Audio speakers.

Please recommend a $400 to $500 receiver similar to Yamaha's HTR-5660 dimensions (17 1/8" (W) x 6 3/4"(H) x 15 3/8"(D))that will go with my speakers. The brands and models that I am looking at are: Denon AVR-1804, Marantz SR5300, and Marantz SR4400. If you have any other suggestions, please post. I prefer to buy the receiver locally if possible, and if not possible from an authorized dealer on the internet and at a good price, because I want a warranty on the receiver.

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    While I currently own a Yamaha RV-V995 reviever I would recomend the Denon as it is great for movies and music. The Marantz is a nice reciever as well but IMHO fits music more than movies. Denon is one of my considerations when I upgrade my Yamaha for many reasons. Discrete 6 channel surround, assignable digital inputs, assignable internal amps, adj crossovers, auto acustic set up, 100 MHz video, Digital I-Link for multi channel audio, tripple zone, RF remote and multi channel 7 band eq.

But for your budget I would look at the Denon. Also have you looked at Sony? I do not personally care for there recievers but many others do and it may work for you? I also prefer to buy from a local dealer as you dont have far to go if you have problems. Anyway I hope this helps in some way?

3. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Kage,
    I think the Denon would be a very nice match for your Polk system. I run two Denon/Polk systems, one in the family room and one in the kids downstairs recroom and think they sound great. FYI the 1804 is listed as 17 1/8" W, 6 3/4" H, and 16 15/16" D.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like Polk. For something around $400-$500 you should be able to find the Harman/Kardon AVR-325 around. It's a 7.1 reciever and is going to have everything you want.

It also has something called Logic7 which is something like Dolby ProLogicII, but I think it sounds a little better. :-D

5. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I just got the Onkyo TX-SR601 and think it is excellent. Definitely one to look into... good power, features and well built, for a good price.

6. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Just finnished reading a comparison of the Onkyo 601, Pioneer 912k and Yamaha 5660. The pioneer came out on top in terms of sound quality and Yamaha close second. Try a pioneer 912k.