What's new

Best 40 LCD? (1 Viewer)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Folks,

The 42in Samsung DLP I just bought doesn't quite fit our built-in entertainment center (it's a nice piece of furniture, so altering it isn't a possibility). I needed the sides to the tv to go towards the back at a more drastic angle.

So..... I'm heartbroken and I now need to find a 40in LCD. It could be a 42 in, if it was not very deep.

I'm tired and probably not making much sense.

Any thoughts,

Rob

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
My head's swimming from lining up my Xbox 360 and buying a beautiful DLP that didn't fit. I had chosen DLP early on (over LCD) and so I hadn't spent much time looking at LCD's. Because of that, I really didn't get it that they are so much more expensive. Is it fair to say that if I see a 40in LCD for $2000, then it's not a very good one?

Thanks,
Rob

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There aren't many 40 inch LCD period. Samsung 408/409D and Sony kdl-v40xbr1, Infocus td40/td40a, Viewsonic N3200w, Sharp has a 45 inch 1080p.

The Samsung 408 can be found close to 2k, but it also includes a HD tuner which raises it price compared to a HD-ready set(same goes for the 409 and XBR).

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks David. I really do like the Samsung 408. I happened to look at it last night at Best Buy (before I read your post). But it's $2789 there and that's a full $1000 more than the Sumsung 42in DLP was. I just can't justify paying $1000 more for less screen space. {By the way, even the cheapest internet places aren't selling it for less than $2300.

If it was $1800 at a store where I could get an extended warrenty, I'd definitely go for it. {Although I'm not sure how I'd secure it, since my entertainment center would exclude the use of the tv's base.}

How many years until the price comes down do you think?

Rob

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd say months-- the 408d was 3400 firm 4 months ago. Same size, much less capable LCD were 50% more 12 months ago. You might also check out some of the smaller LCD projection sets instead of the LCD panels which get really expensive once you go above even 30 inch sets. With the 1080p sets on the close horizon, some of the current sets may comedown much quicker once those are available.

I have a friend that has a Sony 42 inch projection LCD which he justs loves and the KDF-E42A10 fits more in the 1700-1800, but I'm not sure if those dimensions help you out. I guess it might be possible that its shape might help you out, but I'm not sure what dimensions you are looking at. Edit -- looks like Peter really likes this set in the other thread as well-- very nice picture I do agree.

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth, I ended up buying the Samsung 409D (40in LCD that is just 4.5 inches deep)and I absolutely love it! It was more than I wanted to pay, but it fit perfectly and it looks terrific.

Pros:
-great in the bright sunshine that I have (vs. a rear-projection)
-easily fit the wall mount
-picture looks great (especially with my Xbox 360), but I haven't received my Avia DVD for setting in up yet.

Cons:
-Picture in picture doesn't work for tv/Xbox combo (only works for antenna tv.
-Only one custom picture setting (but a brightness sensor on the front avoids the usual settings switch that I'd make in daytime vs. night.
-price (but I ordered through Abe's of Maine for a lot less)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks