What's new

Best 3D Projector under $2000 suggestions (1 Viewer)

cole77

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole t
I am considering buying a 3 d projector and set up a home theater. My budget is 2000 including the screen. Costco has mitsubishi hc7800d for $1599 and mustang electric 120 inch screen for $279
I also hear that optoma hd 33 has received good reviews both are from 2011 and i am not sure if there will be a significantly better technology for the same price relatively soon, i'd appreciate any suggestions and thoughts.
Thanks.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
In order to find possibilities, we need your throw distance(lens to screen).
Are you going to ceiling mount it, or put it on a rear shelf?
Do you need lens shift?

cole77

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole t
Thank you, the room is upstairs with windows but i will be using blackout curtains to maximize the darkness, also the throw distance will be approx. 18 feet The room is about 20 feet deep and i am planning to buy the 120 inch mustang electric screen. I have not made up my mind on ceiling mount or rearshelf, i d like to use the ceiling mount but then i will have to install all the cables throught the dry wall up to the ceiling which i am not comfortable trying my self. I might opt for rear shelf so that i can place the receiver etc righ next to it, thanks for all your help and input in advance

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The HD33 will not work with your throw and screen size, and the HC7800 is not bright enough. You don't have many options with your budget and 3D. DLP - I recommend the Acer 9500. Also has lens shift. LCD - I recommend the Epson 3020, but it doesn't have lens shift.

cole77

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole t
Thanks Jim Would hc be a better pick for a darker room? And hd33 needs a bigger room??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm I think your throw is too far on the 33(Ie it can't do a screen that small...from that far) The HC is not bright enough to counteract daytime viewing, unless you go to some ridiculously high gain screen...and then you end up with no viewing angle and lousy contrast.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Going a few hundred up on your budget gets you into Epson 5020 territory. It's still selling close to $2600, I've been hoping for a price drop on that myself. It has lens shift, throw ratio and should have sufficient brightness for a room that size. You aren't doing anything wacky like shooting under a ceiling fan are you? You would have to budget a screen on top of that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sam Posten said:
Going a few hundred up on your budget gets you into Epson 5020 territory. It's still selling close to $2600, I've been hoping for a price drop on that myself. It has lens shift, throw ratio and should have sufficient brightness for a room that size. You aren't doing anything wacky like shooting under a ceiling fan are you? You would have to budget a screen on top of that.
Hey now...ceiling fans aren't the enemy....My theater has 4 of them...but they aren't in light path either...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Cole77, Yes and no. Your problem is the 18' throw distance is pretty long, and a 120" screen is large. Together, they add up to the HC7800 is too dim. The HD33 needs a shorter throw distance.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, 120" is in the range. I can't get that calculator to reverse and show what the min/max is for 14' but you could do the math in your head =) At 120" you can go anywhere from 11'4" at 1.62 ratio to 18'6" at a 1.0 ratio. So 14' is right in the middle, which is good. Edit: Got it using the classic version. At 14" you can go from 144" at 1.62 to 89" at 1.0 zoom ratio. Remember tho that this setup requires you to have zero shifting. Which can be a deal breaker depending on setup factors!!!!

cole77

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole t
Guys i must apologize i am quite new to this, so i made a mistake with my throw ratio, distance, the room is 20 feet deep, so i can place the projector at any distance up to 18 to 19 feet, as i mentioned the room is on second floor and i will try to make it as dark as possible, does this new info change your suggestions, also i liked what i read about the wireless feature of projectors suche as epson 3020e so i dont have to have wires through the walls, thank you

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't have to run wires through walls... http://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-C210-White-Cordmate-Kit/dp/B00004W3ZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357411576&sr=1-1&keywords=wiremold or http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-NPCS550/dp/B0092T3E3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357411606&sr=1-1&keywords=nyrius+hdmi%27 (one of maybe 100 wireless HDMI solutions)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
cole77 said:
Guys i must apologize i am quite new to this, so i made a mistake with my throw ratio, distance, the room is 20 feet deep, so i can place the projector at any distance up to 18 to 19 feet, as i mentioned the room is on second floor and i will try to make it as dark as possible, does this new info change your suggestions, also i liked what i read about the wireless feature of projectors suche as epson 3020e so i dont have to have wires through the walls, thank you
It doesn't change anything. When I did my search, I used 18' for your throw distance. If your throw was shorter, you would have more projector choices.

cole77

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole t
If i place the projector at 14 to 15 feet does that help me have more options?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
cole77 said:
If i place the projector at 14 to 15 feet does that help me have more options?
Yes. With a 14' throw, the Optoma HD33 will give you an image between 107" and 129" diagonal. With a 14' throw, the Mits. 7800 will give you an image between 94" and 138" diagonal. BUT the brightness is borderline with a 120" diagonal screen. When the bulb dims a little, you would need to run it in high power mode, reducing bulb life significantly. Epson 3020 - If you don't need lens shift, this one will also work. With a 14' throw, image size would be between 89" and 145" diagonal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks