What's new

Best 3D blu-ray documentary? (1 Viewer)

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
I have one blu-ray disc, "Ocean Wonderland" where a sea snake appears to swim right up to your nose. I am unlikely to want to watch a movie more than once so would like to buy a few more documentary type discs, not another undersea movie but possibly a space documentary?
"Hubble" seems to be a good bet.
Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the IMAX "Hubble" documentary is the best of the ones I've seen so far. "Space Station" is also pretty cool, but I'd give the edge to "Hubble".

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Haven't seen that, but Ultimate Wave: Tahiti has some nice shots from in the water.
Born to Be Wild also has lovable orangutans and elephants, and a healthy percentage of native gimmicks.

If you want to stretch the definition to concert films, Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man (well, it played museums anyway) is a nice addition.
Ah, the days of early IMAX 3D, when there was no such thing as "conversion". :cool:

(And we have a 3D Blu-ray board, so the question may end up there.)

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
I also have Avatar 3D on my portable hard drive connected to my receiver's USB port.
Unfortunately I cannot get the audio to play in English. Its all in German even though my projector and blu-ray's settings are set to English.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
There are 2 full-length 3D documentaries that were deservedly nominated for Academy Awards.
1. Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Werner Herzog). An exploration of the prehistoric drawings in a cave in France. The public is not allowed in them so this is the only way to examine and be dazzled by this art.
2. Pina (Wim Wenders). Pina demostrated that all ballet films should be filmed in 3D, and I don't even like this kind of ballet.
These are films that mostly explore depth. They were shot native 3D and are very effective. Just not in your face...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I forgot to mention "Cave Of Forgotten Dreams" - I think the cave paintings are breathtaking! The documentary stuff outside of the caves was less interesting to me, but it was well worth seeing.

I haven't seen "Pina" yet but just got a copy from the B&N Criterion sale, it doesn't necessarily seem like my cup of tea but I have a couple friends and relatives that have expressed interest in seeing it, so I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing it with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks