Best 36" Flatscreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnE, Mar 9, 2003.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

After considering a rpt for awhile I've gone back to wanting a 36" flatscreen instead.

I'm looking at both the Sony KV 36FS100 and the Toshiba 36AF42. Prices are pretty close and the pictures when looking at them at Bestbuy the other day seemed close. Any suggestions or other suggestions? Thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Instead of getting a 36-inch NTSC-only set, why not use the money for a 32-inch ATSC-capable set? At those prices, it just doesn't make sense to buy the obsolete technology.

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Yeah Jack is right, go for a 32" or 36" Toshiba HFX model. I much prefer the toshiba's to the sony's. better price and better picture, especially on the lesser quality sources like cable and vcr and everythign else that is wrong with the world (ie not HD) [​IMG]

4. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

I'm a newbie - so please forgive me! But do the Toshiba's really have a better picture than the Sony's? If so let me know which one - I am in the market for a 36" myself. I have a sony trinitron black tube that has been with me for 12 years and both video ports are fried.

5. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

Yes, the Toshiba 36HFX72 was rated behind only the $5000 Loewe Aconda for best image quality by Sound and Vision (at least I think it was S&V) The 32" most likely will have the same performance IMO.

6. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jack,

At the risk of sounding like a complete numskull, what is an ATSC-capable set and how does it differ from an NTSC-capable set? I am still a newbie here and obviously have much to learn. I am currently putting together my first HT set-up and thus far have been concentrating on the receiver/CD player/DVD player/speaker end of the equation. Like JohnE, I am also in the market for a new 32" - 36" direct-view set and am considering models from both Sony and Toshiba, so any info. you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Debbie

7. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

What about int the tube tv division? Is Toshiba the best also?

8. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

9. Edward Mueller

Edward Mueller Auditioning

I own a Sony KV36FV300 and the image is really good the best i've ever seen, it support enhanced 16:9 tv mode so you dont have to use the letterbox when watching widescreen tv, so you get a better image as it is more compressed (no black lines between pixels) the image is crystal clear and Dyna Black and Clearedge options add even more to it. Dyna Black give you deep black and white and clear edge remove the jaggies on the edge of diagonal lines. The sound is very good too, i can even listen to music with the built in speakers (it's, for sure, not as good as a Home theater but really good), Two speakers left and right plus a sub channel frequency on the back of the screen which gives the deep bass needed, we dont usually have with a tv.

For the HDTV point. I've tryed it side to side KV36FV300 and KV36HS500 and believe in me the non-HDTV gives a better image with every signal exept HDTV signal. So if you want better signal on DVD, Digital Cable, Standard Cable then choose the KV36FV300. Dont forget a DVD player only send 530 which is in reality 480 dues to NTSC transformation, so the image you get with a good non-HDTV is a full DVD image nothing is lost but if you buy a HDTV you'll have more pixel then you need, to draw your image so you'll need a Progressive scan DVD player which gonna give you a synthetic i1080 image. The DVD player need to add pixel so 1 pixel on the non-HDTV will give 4 pixels of the same color (extrapolation) to give you the feeling of a i1080 signal. But in fact you'll get a blocky image which is really bad to my eyes. Yes the HDTV gives you more lines but since extrapolation is needed to fill all the pixel the image is not crisp at all. The guy who sold me the TV didn't believe me when i told him this, til we tryed it side to side. So give it a try, go to your local reseller and ask him for a demo with side to side HDTV (KV36HS500) and non-HDTV (KV36FV300) and if possible the Toshiba 36AF42. You'll see the difference, dont buy anything without trying it. If your local reseller dont want to do the test go elsewhere!

If you go for a Rear Projector TV then go for the HDTV nothing less. But dont forget the burn problem with 16:9 movies on a 4:3 and vice versa. The image will clearer on a Projection tv cause it's small mirror which send the light to the front pannel of the screen so extrapolation is less of a problem in that case. The Sony KP43HT20 is a good choice, the image is crisp on every signal and the price is on your bracket. The price is the same as my Sony Tube KV36FV300. It's a 4:3 model with HDTV, give it a try. If you're looking for a tv only (ONLY) for 16:9 viewing then you should look at the samsung Tantus 47" i can't remember the exact model but there is only on Tantus 47" from Samsung. The image is clear crisp everything for want from a tv!

For myself i've bought the KV36FV300 for the living room, til i'll build up my new home theater room with a projector (not a rear projection tv) to give me a widest screen witout having the probleme of burning the phosphor in the rear projector tv screen.

If you buy the KV36FV300 (the one i have) you'll see the image quality is unbelievable. Put Black Hawk Down DVD on it Enable the Clear edge and Dyna Black and you'll see what i mean! You'll even see the pore on their skin!

Hope it will help you and as i said before try them before buying!

Ed