What's new

Best 35" Flat-Screen Analog CRT? (1 Viewer)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the situation. I need to buy a new TV for a summer home. The TV will be used in a room that gets a ton of afternoon light (has glass sliding doors that face west) which is often when we're watching sports in the summer, though thankfully there's no direct sunlight on the TV. The TV will sit in a corner on a pre-existing home entertainment center (due to traffic flow, windows and doors there's no way we're moving anything). There are 2 couches, at right angles to each other, which meet in the opposite corner of the TV, so depending on where you're sitting you can be anywhere from 8' to 13' from the screen.
Because of the light issue I've ruled out RPTV's - they'd be useless during the day, right? Likewise, because we have such different seating positions from one end of the couch to the other, a flat screen should eliminate most of the glare for most of the seating positions, right? (Note: as I write this I just realized that the 12 year old TV we have there now has a slab of glass on the front, between the viewer and the CRT. It just occurred to me that this has the same effect as a flat screen.)
Here's the Laundry List of requirements that I'm looking for:
-Connections: We'll be using a DVD player with this TV, so S-Video inputs are a must, with component being a probable necessity (always think ahead). Must have at least 2 S-Vid and one Component.
-HDTV: There is no plan as of now to convert to a dish, so I don't think HDTV will be happening in the near future, so we'll say that we don't need an HDTV compatible monitor.
-Squeeze/ 16: 9 Capability: I consider squeeze to be a bonus (we unfortunately sit far enough away that I don't think it's necessary, but I do own a TV that does it, so I understand the value - it just may not be worth the $$). If a TV you're recommending has squeeze capabilities, please note if it's automatic, one button capable, or if you have to go through the service menu to enable the squeeze.
-Line Doubler: Again, due to viewing distance and price considerations we probable don't need it, but I know how much better the picture can look with it.
-Picture Controls: Memory of picture settings is a must, either by input (one set for TV, another for DVD) or by menu (Standard, Cinema...). Please specify.
-Sound/Speakers: N/A as we always use an A/V receiver.
-Weight: Not an issue due to a well engineered entertainment center.
-PIP: Not necessary, but considered a bonus.
Sorry for the length of this post, but I'm a believer that the more explicit I am in my request for info, the easier it is for people to give me informed responses. Hope everyone can help me out here with a nice, long list of TV's that I can do some real deep research on.
Thanks in advance.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
The two flat screen sets in the 32-36 inch range that come to mind are the JVC 32 inch I'Art (which I can't seem to find any information on their site about but crutchfields had it listed) and Sony's Wega series. Sony is the only one that I know of that does the squeeze via a user level selection (no fiddling with the service menu). Neither of these sets have a line doubler as far as I'm aware. There are also offerings from Samsung in the 32 inch range - check out www.samsungusa.com for more information. I own none of these sets so cannot comment on actual usage.
good luck.
--tom

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry folks, I'm an idiot. The Subject should read 36", not 35".
Not a big deal, but again, specific.
Thanks.
And no, this is not a shameless bump :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks