What's new

Best 34-36" TV for around $1000? (1 Viewer)

Mike Hav

Grip
I'm looking to buy a new TV again and was wondering what was the best thing out there for around $1000? I am completely clueless as to what is latest and greatest right now. It isn't for anything special, just DVD's, Satelite TV, etc. Thanks in advance.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
You won't go digital at that price. If you want it for DVDs, then you should definitely get a TV that does vertical compression to get the full benefit of DVDs. That pretty much narrows it down to the flat screen TVs.
You could get a basic Sony WEGA (FS series) 32" for $850 or so; 36" will cost $1200 or so. Other brands are a little less; better WEGAs are a little more.
All the brands and models vary in how they do the compression (auto, manual, etc.), the inputs, sound quality, remote feel, etc. You'll have to do some legwork and go to a store and check them out, and decide which aspects are important to you.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
You could get the Sony 32FV27 for ~$1100 right now. I saw it at CC today for $1199 - $100 = $1099. (this week)
This set does the squeeze.. but won't accept 480p (progressive scan). 'Course it's also only 32" too.
Frankly, my humble experience (at least on 32" sets) is that the squeeze and PS don't offer much improvement compared to DVD & standard def sets when viewed from 8 ft or so.
I could be wrong.
wink.gif

------------------
--RR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks