Best 32" for under $600???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nathan J, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

As far as picture quality, I think the best I have seen is the 32" Toshiba flat screen ( tos-32af43 I believe)

I liked it better than the comparable Sony. What about Hitachi? Or some other brand? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nathan, if you can hold off of making a purchase for a few months, some stores may lower the price of HD-capable direct-view sets to within a couple of hundred dollars of your budget. I hate to see someone spending around $600 on NTSC-only technology this late in the game. Presently, the Sony KV-32HS510 HD-capable WEGA is going for around $1,200 at certain outlets. Next year, as the model year draws to a close, that price may come down considerably.

Bear in mind that, until Congress says otherwise, the analog bandwidth is going to be cut off in 2006.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

My pick would be the Toshiba you looked at or a JVC. The JVC adds over the Toshiba Color Temperature Control & the SVM can be turned ON/OFF. I would probably go with the JVC just because of those two features but I think either of these sets are the best 32 Inch analog sets that are out there. But if you like the picture on the Toshiba compared to the JVC then go for it. I also like the looks of the newer style JVC sets better than the Toshiba's. They have that "Arch" design look that's something like the Sony's.

4. DougKuhn

DougKuhn Stunt Coordinator

I too had my eye caught recently by the same Toshiba. Excellent picture. I am torn between it and the comparible Sony. But am now thinking about the HDTV issue....is it really worth considering? (Read: should I wait as Jack suggested?)

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have the 32AF43. It has SVM on / off, 16:9 squeeze. I have it tweaked out pretty well and I really like it's DVD picture, and Dish Network is pretty good, too.

The problem is there's only one user setting - If the DVD settings look good, they won't for dish, and I have to tweak them and so on, each time I switch sources.

Also, there is a squeal from the picture tube. When it warms up (or there's a full moon on a Tuesday, it's intermittent)the screen will emit a 70db/.5m squeal. Impossible to live with. I have to shut it down or change to an unused video input to kill the squeal, and when I go back to the program, it may go away, may not.

I wouldn't buy it again. I'd wait and get a Sony, they've been good to me.

- CM

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I should have added that I think Jack's right & if you can't afford the HD Sony set outright right now that you might be able to afford it with no intrest financing with 1 1/2 years to pay for the set like Best Buy is offering right now. Colin that's too bad about the noise issue & do you know if it's in all Toshiba models or just the 32 one?

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No idea...