What's new

Best 32-37" LCD HDTV for $1600 or less? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
steve,
over the air (atsc) channels can be delivered either through the antenna to the TV with HDTV tuner (since the built-in tuner decodes atsc) or through cable's set top box (STB) since the box helps either relay (if you use coaxial hookup between STB and HDTV) or decode the atsc for your (if you use DVI or component out).

a built in HDTV is the same as a separate HDTV tuner box that you purchase. it only decodes over the air (atsc) signals. for premium cable channels like HBO or Cinemax or Showtime HD you need a STB that decodes qam or some other standards plus a subscription obviously. that's why HDTV tuners can only tune atsc/over the air channels and not hbo or any other premium channels. it's not like the good ole days of cable classic. it's all digital now.

plus, a lot of STB offer special interactive features like ondemand, that's where one requires cable cards either built into the HDTV for viewing only (1.x) or on STB in the future HTPC's (2.x):
http://arstechnica.com/guides/other/cablecard.ars/1

steve_jk

Agent

Does this work similiar to a digital camera with digital zoom then?
I'm in the process of looking into HDTV's and am wondering about how SD TV looks. Does the picture get blockier and blockier as the native resolution increases? (I mean a TV with a native res of 720p vs a TV with a native res of 1080)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The LTV 32w6 is capable of both 720P and 1080i so I would be correct in assuming the native res is 720p, yes? Joseph is correct, the panel automatically scales the input signal. I am only running my HD-DVR to the 32w6 via component (the HDMI does not handshake) and I leave the DVR output set on 1080i. Switching the DVR between 720P and 1080i output yeilds no discernable difference in picture quality on both SD and HD channels. They both look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks