What's new

Best $300 Sub (1 Viewer)

Philip Clark

Auditioning
I'm relatively new to the home audio market, but have dabbled in car audio for half a year or so. *bows for his first post*

Anyway, I'm curious as to what the best sub for the money at/under $300 is for my current setup?

My speakers are as follows:

Front - 2x Sansui S-1117 (8-ohms imp., max 160W)

Rear - 2x Linear Dynamics LD-3400 (4-6ohm imp., 110W RMS)

If you need any more info about my system to answer, such as the main components, let me know. Also, would I benefit more from adding a sub, or upgrading my 4 speakers? They were handed down to me from a previous system and sound fine, but I am curious as to other possibilities...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions - much appreciated.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Is this for music or HT? If it is for HT, I would recommend grabbing a sub for sure. Look into the Sony SA-wm40 subwoofer, which you can get for $135 online. That sub is the most bang for your buck in that price range. After that, look into selectively upgrading your speakers. Start with upgrading the front mains, then add a center channel that matches. Lastly, upgrade the surrounds. This is the order to approach it assuming that your budget is limited. If you want speaker recommendations, start another thread and indicate your budget. Good luck!

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I agree with Eric, the best sub you can get for under $300 is probably the Sony WM 40. I have one myself and I love it. When you get to the $400-$500 you can find better subs like Adire. THen when you get to the $600-$700 you get into SVS territory.

Philip Clark

Auditioning
Thanks, I'll look into the aforementioned Sony model.

And I must agree, Adire Audio makes some very nice subs. I'm running a Shiva in my car and it's fantastic.

Philip Clark

Auditioning
I've found retailers of the Sony SA WM 40, but none of them are selling it cheaper than $199. I realize this is already under my budget, but it was mentioned that the model could be found for $135 online. Any suggestions on cheap sites to purchase from?

Greg Br

Second Unit
I have heard the Sony and it is nice for the money but I would prefer the JBL PB12 at $250. There are some reliabilty issues with the first generation models but I had no problems and with the warranty and the $250 price tag it was a nice model. I would save up and get the Adire model or the HSU VTF-2 based on opinions here, I believe the VTF-2 is $399.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks