Best 27 inch Set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryNS, Dec 19, 2001.

1. BarryNS

BarryNS Stunt Coordinator

My sister and her husband are looking to get a new TV to compliment their first DVD player and new digital cable service...they are "stuck" with only a 27 inch set due to the size limitations imposed by the cabinet work where the TV will need to be placed. They are quite fond of the various flatscreens out on the market now (Sony WEGA and Panasonic Tau in particular)...can anyone recommend a particular model? An auto-squeeze for anamorphic DVD's would be a bonus.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Then the WEGA's your answer (though I believe the FS-series KV-27s require that 16:9 be switched on manually). You might also consider the 27-inch Toshibas with component-video inputs--though you'd have to go into the service menu to perform a 16:9 squeeze. But I love Toshiba's accurate color decoding.

3. Joel Ostrow

Joel Ostrow Agent

I'd be wary of the Panasonic Tau series. I have had two of the CT27SX11's now, and both of them are completely unable to project a straight vertical line. They are not just bowed or curved -- from top to bottom what are supposed to be straight lines wave back and forth. Literally -- the edge of a building has fluid wave motion. I've noticed this (now) on all sets in all stores.

I got the Tau after returning a Sony WEGA KV-27FS13. I returned that due to major horizontal geometry problems, which I am sure you've by now read about.

However, I am convinced the Sony problem can be fixed via the service menu or with the help of a technician, so I am going to buy -- and get an extended warranty!

A correspondence with another forum user makes clear that Panasonic techs acknowledge the sets have the problem and that there is no fix.

So, that's my 2 cents.

For this much money, whatever happened to quality control?

4. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

When I did my shopping a few months ago, I ended up with the Wega KV27FV17, It fits snuggly in a rather cramped space. The dealer adjusted the set before delivery, and the black-band and geometry problems that many have cited don't appear to be there. The new-generation 3D comb filter does an exceptional job of color separation. I am quite pleased with the set and don't hesitate to recommend it to those looking for a high-quality 27".

Marty