What's new

Best $2000 RPTV (1 Viewer)

I'm looking to buy a new widescreen RPTV and was hoping there are some opinions out there on what the betters ones are. There are just too damn many of them out there.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The popular ones seem to be:
Pioneer
Mits
Toshiba
Hitachi

Usually in this order due to best stretch mode.....

John S

Senior HTF Member
Some things to really look for...

720p support, Mulitple True HDTV Component inputs, DCDi (faroudja progressive scan / 3:2 pulldown, DVI input...

All things my 60" $1250 set does not have, but I would have made sure if I was spending $2K any perspective set would surely have had all these.

chris*b

Stunt Coordinator
I think you would have a very hard time finding all that for 2k. I have a Panny Pt-56wx53 that I got for $1599 + $200 for warranty + tax. It was under 2k total.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Probably true, but those are really all the bells and whistles.

One would have to decide which ones would be most important.

720p support - Not super important in my opinion, as nearly all boxes allow you to set the output for whatever you want. (Then again I don't do games at all, IE:XBOX)

Multiple true HDTV inputs: Not so important to me, because even if there was two of them, I would still need to switch through my reciever.

DVI Input: It seems there are still issues being worked out on this interface. I think it will be a while before we start to see HDTV devices that don't have component video output.

One thing that is consistent about 1st HDTV purchases, everybody I come across, says it was way way more involved than expected. Including myself.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I got a Mitsu 55513 at Sears for about $1900+tax. (Whatever you decide to get, Sears will likely have the best deal -- but you have to ask for it.)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Can you give any details of what you're looking for? How big a screen do you want? What will you be mostly watching on it? Will you be using an Xbox?

chris*b

Stunt Coordinator
The XBox question is a big one. The only thing I hate about my Panny is that it won't upconvert 720p to 1080i. So I can't play the XBox games in HD which is the only reason I bought the XBox.:angry:

StephenWE

Agent
I'm in the same boat as Tyson. I'm not sure what his viewing habbits are like, but I watch a lot of sports, movies, and play a lot of Xbox. I want my TV to be somewhere in the 51"-57" range, and to have DVI.

I'll mostly be watching widescreen movies and playing video games on it. I have about every system from the original NES up to a Gamecube and plan on buying an XBOX eventually. I want something in the 50"-60" range. My system consists of:

Sony DVP S7000 DVD player
Pioneer CLD-79 Laserdisc Player
B&K 202 Receiver
M&K 750 THX speaker setup
Bettercables
Sony 36" 250XBR TV

I was thinking about buying a front projector, but am worried about ambient light issues and the costs that would entail.

Jason Brent

Second Unit
I have a panny 47wx53.

I understand that ABC is in 720p. If the panny can't do 720p, why can I see Monday Night Football in HD? I have a Cox cable HD digital cable box. Is the cable box doing something?

Just wonderin...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, all Cable / Sat / OTA HTDV tuners allow you to set the output for whatever you want... 480p,720p, or 1080i.

The Box at this point is upconverting everything to whatever you choose. I choose 1080i for mine.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I can watch ABC through the built-in tuner in my set, which doesn't do 720P. I assume the tuner converts it, but it doesn't let you mess with the setting (at least in the normal menus).

No, the xx513 series is the Gold series. I think it works like this:
  • xx313 = Silver Series
  • xx413 = SilverPlus Series
  • xx513 = Gold Series (mine)
  • xx613 = GoldPlus Series
  • xx713 = Platinum Series
  • xx813 = Diamond Series

I may have the Diamond and Platinum Series mixed up though.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Paging Abe Morgan!

If it was you who emailed me directly, I responded via a PM in this forum. (I wasn't sure where the email came from because it didn't reference this forum by name, so I didn't want to reply to it in case it was spam.)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Tyson, I recall your previous post about FP. How much light exactly is in the room? If you can get it pretty dim in there during the day (if you do daytime watching), you should be fine for most uses. You can also get one hell of a used CRT pj for under 2K.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,

I was wondering because I believe Best Buy sells the Diamond models. I am not sure what the difference is between them. Maybe a Mits expert out there can answer this?

I am STRONGLY considering buy a Mits this summer and would like to learn more about the models.

The room has a 5' by 3' window with blinds and a sliding glass door with sliding drapes. So during the daytime I cannot get the room completely dark. As you know, I've been looking for a Front Projector, but I don't want to spend much over $2000 and am very worried about the ambient light issue. I don't really want something that requires a really dark room all the time.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Dave,

If you go to Mitsubishitv.com (I think that's the address), you can look at the spec sheets for all the TVs. (If a local shop has the printed Mits catalog, they're in there too.)

Alternatively, do a search on this forum -- a few weeks ago I posted a detailed list of the whole line and the major differences between the models.

I didn't realize that Best Buy carried RP sets that high-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks