Best $200 upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin-H, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

After buying a receiver, speakers, a DVD player, and budgeting money for connections, I have about $200 left in my "Colin wants a decent home theater set up for his apartment" fund. What should I do with it? The options I've come up with are:
    • Power conditioner (the Panamax model that runs about $200)
    • Universal remote (ProntoNeo, possibly)
    • Multi CD changer, possibly the Sony model that plays SACDs (I plan to play music often and not having to get up and change the disc would be a nice luxury)
    • Bass shakers (would like to be able to turn the subwoofer down and still get a decent effect)
    • give the DVD collection a serious kick in the arse (less necessary in the short term since my roommate has a huge collection)
    • Sound card or daughterboard with digital out so I don't have to burn mp3 cds to play mp3s (convenience again)
    • any other suggestions???!?
    I've been weighing the benefits of each in my head for the past few days, and I can't make a decision. If I had a spare thousand dineros, I'd get everything, but I don't, so I have to pick.
    What would you do in my situation?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Colin,
    well, a surge protector is pretty much a given, in my estimation, especially living on the East Coast with a lot of electrical/thunderstorms.
    The Panamax at that level is really just a surge protector and not a "power conditioner" tho folks use this term all the time.
    For your system, I'd say get the solid, metal chassis TrippLite ISOBAR6 DBS unit HERE and then you'll have $130 left!
    Both the Panamax and TrippLite have the same filters for AC line noise RF/EMI suppression to "condition" the wall power.
    The Panamax 4300 at ~$150 however is a fine unit, too, in a rack mount style.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I like Bill's idea and I believe similar units might be available from APC. Well let's see, you've got $130 left over....got any renter's insurance or maybe you need to upgrade it to cover potential thefts/catastrophic losses at full replacement value? Maybe a little work on the apartment walls to aid in a little acoustic improvements? Nothing like protecting your investment.

4. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Renter's insurance is a definite.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to get clowned by power companies that pretend their low-level products are going to improve my sound.

The acoustic thing is a good idea, too. Although I know everyone living in the house with me, I also know that they're not going to be happy if I decide to watch Jurassic Park at 3am.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Headphones my good man...headphones [​IMG]

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Used pronto T1000's are available for around $150 which would leave you a little for a better surge protector

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The MX500 remote can be had for $125. Highly recommended.
    I assume you already have AVIA/Video Essentials and a Radio Shack SPL meter?

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

If you've got someone else in your household who needs to use the HT and finds it daunting, you'll find no better investment than a Pronto.

10. Taka

Taka Agent

Rather than any of that stuff, I'd spend the money for an ISF-certified tech to come and calibrate your display.

Properly calibrated displays can be significantly better than what you started with.

Taka

11. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I would do that, but considering the cost of an ISF calibration would probably be more than the cost of the TV (a 27" $289 regular-old TV), I don't think it's worth it. I'll stick with the Avia.

12. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

In case you're curious, I decided the best $200 upgrade was the upgrade from the 2802 to the 3802, especially since I got it for $699 from 6ave.com! If you've been wanting a 3802, now's the time to pick one up from an authorized dealer!