What's new

Best $200 upgrade (1 Viewer)

Colin-H

Second Unit
After buying a receiver, speakers, a DVD player, and budgeting money for connections, I have about $200 left in my "Colin wants a decent home theater set up for his apartment" fund. What should I do with it? The options I've come up with are:
  • Power conditioner (the Panamax model that runs about $200)
  • Universal remote (ProntoNeo, possibly)
  • Multi CD changer, possibly the Sony model that plays SACDs (I plan to play music often and not having to get up and change the disc would be a nice luxury)
  • Bass shakers (would like to be able to turn the subwoofer down and still get a decent effect)
  • give the DVD collection a serious kick in the arse (less necessary in the short term since my roommate has a huge collection)
  • Sound card or daughterboard with digital out so I don't have to burn mp3 cds to play mp3s (convenience again)
  • any other suggestions???!?
I've been weighing the benefits of each in my head for the past few days, and I can't make a decision. If I had a spare thousand dineros, I'd get everything, but I don't, so I have to pick.
What would you do in my situation?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Colin,
well, a surge protector is pretty much a given, in my estimation, especially living on the East Coast with a lot of electrical/thunderstorms.
The Panamax at that level is really just a surge protector and not a "power conditioner" tho folks use this term all the time.
For your system, I'd say get the solid, metal chassis TrippLite ISOBAR6 DBS unit HERE and then you'll have $130 left!
Both the Panamax and TrippLite have the same filters for AC line noise RF/EMI suppression to "condition" the wall power.
The Panamax 4300 at ~$150 however is a fine unit, too, in a rack mount style.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I like Bill's idea and I believe similar units might be available from APC. Well let's see, you've got $130 left over....got any renter's insurance or maybe you need to upgrade it to cover potential thefts/catastrophic losses at full replacement value? Maybe a little work on the apartment walls to aid in a little acoustic improvements? Nothing like protecting your investment.

Colin-H

Second Unit
Renter's insurance is a definite.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to get clowned by power companies that pretend their low-level products are going to improve my sound.

The acoustic thing is a good idea, too. Although I know everyone living in the house with me, I also know that they're not going to be happy if I decide to watch Jurassic Park at 3am.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Used pronto T1000's are available for around $150 which would leave you a little for a better surge protector

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The MX500 remote can be had for $125. Highly recommended.
I assume you already have AVIA/Video Essentials and a Radio Shack SPL meter?

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
If you've got someone else in your household who needs to use the HT and finds it daunting, you'll find no better investment than a Pronto.

Taka

Agent
Rather than any of that stuff, I'd spend the money for an ISF-certified tech to come and calibrate your display.

Properly calibrated displays can be significantly better than what you started with.

Taka

Colin-H

Second Unit
I would do that, but considering the cost of an ISF calibration would probably be more than the cost of the TV (a 27" $289 regular-old TV), I don't think it's worth it. I'll stick with the Avia.

Colin-H

Second Unit
In case you're curious, I decided the best $200 upgrade was the upgrade from the 2802 to the 3802, especially since I got it for $699 from 6ave.com! If you've been wanting a 3802, now's the time to pick one up from an authorized dealer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks