What's new

Best ~$200 HT Receiver (1 Viewer)

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm putting together a cheap system for a family member. They're working on a budget of about $400 for the receiver and speakers. I've done a little research so far, and so far the frontrunners are:

HK AVR 125-Z: $228 (refurb from Harman Audio)
ONKYO TX-SR500: $149 (J&R)
DENON AVR-1603: $179 (eCost)
SONY STR-DE595: $169 (J&R)

I'm thinking of using the receiver with a pair of JBL S36's or B&W 303's.

I want to get a multichannel receiver in case they decide to add more speakers later. Any advice is appreciated.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Drop the Sony because it's from the "DE" series and look closely at the remaining receivers. At that point, it has to basically come down to features. What will be most essential for the family member? Purchase the receiver that fits the best with what they need it to do.

While I'm sure there will be slight differences in sound between them, I'll bet that that due to the limited budget, the user won't be able to tell a big difference between the three receivers.

Best of luck !

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I would get the Onkyo. That price is less than half what I paid for my Onkyo DD/DTS/DPLII unit that's been flawless for about two years now. I'd recommend against the HK because they are notorious for reliability problems (that's why you see so many refurbs).

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I have to vote the HK. It may be a little more expensive, but it will provide the most power out of all of them (most recievers don't give out true output ratings) unlike HK who underrates them. In terms of features, the HK isn't a bad deal either. You will get the best performance for an extra $40 if they are willing to shell it out. HK also has great tech support.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
You can get the avr125 for $199 free shipping at Soundcity.com and the AVR225 for $240 free shipping also. Both Refurb.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I agree with the previous recommendations for the HK. My second choice would be the Denon. I've owned Onkyo receivers in the past, and thought that they sounded a bit too harsh. Avoid the Sony 'DE' series -- too unreliable.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Yupp, I went to the SoundCity store and bought my 225. Trust me if any place has good service it is SoundCity. If you want to call them up and talk to them, talk to the guy Mike, he will definantly help you out along with anything else you might need. If you live in the Jersey area check out there store, they are honest and tell you the facts, not myths or opinions.

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
I own the 125 and love it. I also really like the Denon. I have not heard that Onk. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

How about a brand new Denon 483 A/V receiver (same as the Denon 1403) from an authorized Denon web dealer for under $150.00?

I just purchased a brand new Sherwood RD-6108 receiver (with Dolby Digital/Dolby ProLogic II/dts) for $80.00 as well.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I think you should also consider Pioneer 811 or 812K, which have very good reviews last year on entry level setups.

DaveKahler

Stunt Coordinator
the pioneer 811S is an excellent receiver, it gets up very loud and crisp in my 18x15 room with Axiom's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks