What's new

best 16:9 RPTV under $2500 (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
ALready asked this a lot, but am looking for the best 16x9 set for under 2500. The Mits was on top of my list, but due to some unforseen circumstances the Mits is off my list. Been looking at the Panny 47in or Toshiba. The Sharp 55in looks nice, but am paranoid by how cheap it is. Samsung also looks nice. Looking for a set that DOES NOT lock into full mode when getting a pregressive signal, as gaming will be a big part of the Tvs use, DVDs being the other.

Opinions please!

JimmyD

Auditioning
I've had a SharpVision 55RWP5H for 3 months and watch NTSC cable and DVDs and am still awed by the picture. There is only one thing to worry about with the Sharp's and that is the vertical line problem that some of them have. For more information on that go to this thread over at the Home Theater Spot forum:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...;f=64;t=000057
It's a hit or miss thing out of the box and no one has reported that it has appeared over time so if you can actually watch the TV before you buy it you can verify if the vertical line exists. Even those with the vertical line problem tend to praise Sharp's customer service but Sharp hasn't been able to fix the problem yet and some people are getting frustrated. But most with the problem are willing to wait because of the great picture (HD, DVD, NTSC Cable, and even VHS) that the Sharp provides.
James

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
I have a toshiba 56 H81 last years model very good set. All the talk on this site claim that the 2002 model is far superior.

One thing there is a change coming in the way the tv is connected to other devices it is called firewire and the new 2003 sets have it and some Sony sets have. There is speculation this new method of connection will cause the old sets of being in capable of receiving a HD picture.Perhaps it is better to get the newer method of connection.

You realize that you will have to buy a set top box to receive a HDTV picture.

It is only recently that cable providers have commenced HD availability on their system and I believe it very limited to certain geographical locations.

I would suggest that you surf the web sound and vision magazine has had some artilces also they have some review on some of the available sets

Good shopping make an informed decison because many of the sales staff are misinformed on many of these sets

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
One other thing is that RPTV are not good for gaming. Potentailly the game can burn an image on the screen causing phosphorous burn. Many manufacturers will not warranty a set when this occurs beacuse they blame it on negelect. It ususally occurs when a game if left on the screen and there is no activity for a short period of time. Some sets turn off automatically after 15 minutes in an effort to counteract this problem.

Sometimes it can be fixed but normally not unless a great deal of money is spent on replacing the colour guns.

I would suggest that you confine your gaming to a glass tube set where the risk of phosphorous burn is almost non existent.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Sean..The panny and be bought on the street for around 1900..If you look around and like negotiating, you should be able to get it for around 1600..It is a great looking set...

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sean
I suggest you beg, borrow, or max out your credit card to get the Pioneer 533. Best picture quality with standard definition material. You can get it an onecall for $2,879 delivered . It is already discontinued so you will have to act soon if you can come up with the extra $400.
Artie

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Sean, why not the Mits? Just curious. I got my 55809 for just a hair uner $2500 about six months ago - I'm sure you could do better now.

James, I have to disagree with you about the gaming with RPTVs. Burn in is caused by static images. As long as you control your TVs calibrations, and don't expose it to too many static images, you won't have a problem.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The Mits is still a possibility, but found a connection for a steep discount from an auth dealer of everything BUT Mits.

Was looking at the 46in for a while, but then this connection came through.

Also...credit cards are maxed, and they wont approve a new one.

And I know of the dangers of burn in by gaming. Just as long as I vary the content shown on my screen I can avoid it.

But no one has answered my BIG question...which set DOES NOT lock into full mode on Progressive. The Xbox and GCube both do progressive, but not all the games are 16x9.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The mits does not lock into full, the toshiba's do not and the panny does not lock into full...I beleive but not postive the sony's do not either.

ace peterson

Second Unit
Ordered a Toshiba 50H81 yesterday from Sears and had them do a price match I got from an internet dealer. My price: $2057 plus tax.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Also...credit cards are maxed, and they wont approve a new one.
Man, I hope for your sake that was a joke! If not, you should really think twice about throwing $2500 down on a new TV. Perhaps you might be better off paying off some of that debt before making any major purchases.

Trust me (someone who's BEEN there), if you pay off your debt and avoid paying exorbitant interest rates, you'll be able to afford a MUCH nicer TV not too far down the road.

Just my unsolicited 2 cent advice...

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to correct you Mike, but the Panny does lock into full mode in progressive. I know, I have one, so I bought a DVD player that scales.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ok..into the home stretcch. 30 days until I buy an HDTV. My choices I have narrowed down to Toshiba, and am deciding between the 34in direct view, or 42 in RPTV or 50RPtv.

I live in an apt and space will be an issue. The RPTV models are not as deep as the direct view and larger screen too. But the direct view is damn pretty. Any advice?

Dylan Savage

Stunt Coordinator
Sean, my thought is that you will appreciate progressive scan and HD alot more if your set is bigger. If you can get the 50in HD, get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks