What's new

Best 16:9 HD RPTV over 55" for $2,500.00 (1 Viewer)

What are they? Is there anything on the horizon (6-12 months) worth waiting for instead of buying now?

But back to my original question: Best 16:9 HD RPTV over 55" for $2,500.00 ??????

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I guess my suggestion really worked out well for you! But, no need to thank me. :b

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Best is subjective, especially w/ RPTVs.

Maybe if you included 53", I might suggest a Panny 53" w/ good ISF calibration. :D And then, you'll probably have enough leftover to buy a decent DVD player to go w/ the TV.

There's also a Panny 56", but personally, I don't think the 3" worth the $$$ difference. Just sit about 1/2 ft closer.

_Man_

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Best at 480p?
Best at SDTV?
Best at HDTV?
Best value?
Pick one, cause there is a different $2500 RPTV answer too each of those questions.

Ed,

I guess the "HD" in my header was not clear enough. High Definition TV (ready) that is 55" or bigger, Rear Projection, 19:9 ratio.
Is that clearer?

Shaun

Second Unit
I just purchased the 55 inch Widescreen HDTV-Ready Mitsubishi Gold Series WS-55311, it's priced at just below $2,500. It doesn't get delivered until saturday, but I thought it was the best choice for me. You may like it too.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No,
what do you want your 16:9 HD too do "best"?
480p for DVD's? Mits [red push].
Cable [480i]? Hitachi [doesn't do 480p].
1080i HD? Mits.
Value? Tosh [doesn't do 480p]. Some would say RCA, but I am not buying it [pun intend].
Good luck!

Alayn

Auditioning
Hey Ed!

Thanks for the heads up on Toshiba not doing 480p. Been researching for a month now and didn't know that. How wiley those manufact. are...

Now, my question to you: why not RCA? What's the real problem with this very cool looking and feature packed rptv? I'm thinking of going with a Dxxw135d and it just seems to have everything.

Next question: I'll be watching a lot of standard cable (along with lots of dvd's)and I'd appreciate any experienced review of the stretch modes for converting 4:3 signal to WS(16:9) on the various models. To boot, has any tennis fan got any opinions on how it is to watch the great game on a WS with the 4:3 stretched? If I get a WS, I know I can't watch tennis, which runs often for up to 5-6 hours, with 4:3 ratio giving gray or black side bars(too much time will give me burn in, especially if I'm watching that much tennis). SO, I want to make sure I get the best stretch mode possible for viewing normal cable stuff.

Don't watch too much CNN!:wink:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Alayn,

RE: stretch modes, why don't you just see for yourself? It's hard to know whether you'll find any stretch mode acceptable for what you watch.

Sounds to me like you definitely should not rule out a 4x3 RPTV like the Toshiba 50H72. Yes, it forces 540p upconversion, but you might never notice the difference. Plenty of Tosh owners love their RPTVs, and many of them own the 2001 models that did poorer upconversion than the new ones.

IF 16x9 is a must and upconversion is not acceptable, you should probably get the Pioneer non-Elite 53" (or is it 55"?) that a few owners swear by around here. Sounds like that model would be best for what you want.

RE: the RCA's, it seems like PQ and feature set are not necessarily the problem w/ them, but reliability/durability sure is.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks