Best $1500 Projector/Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew_G, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Andrew_G

Andrew_G Agent

Hi guys,

I am interested in starting a little home theater setup in a room which isn't used too often. I already have most the equipment required, accept for the two most important parts, of course: The projector and the screen.

My family and I have been able to collect a lot of spare change and when we counted this, it was close to $1500 dollars. Can anyone guide me in a good purchase of a projector and a screen for our setup?

The only guidelines, other than the price, are that it can play our HDTV Cable and HDTV DVD signals, and be able to play normal video game consoles through either the standard RCA cables or SVideo - accept for the Xbox's because it has HDTV support, of course.

Any help I recieve is _greatly_ appreciated.

Thanks!!

--Andrew

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Depending on the space in which you intend to use this, you may be able to get away with using the classic 'white painted wall.'

This is an inexpensive screen; it rarely ripples, and is relatively easy to clean and maintain. In a worst case sort of scenario, you grab a roller and refresh the surface.

This, of course, works on the assumption that you have a reasonably large, blank area of wall someplace 'useful' for the screen purposes, that isn't obstructed by speakers, monitors, pictures, cats, or whatever.

If these conditions are true, then you've got $1500 for a projector. Then things become much more interesting...

I've been fairly happy with my Panasonic PT-LC75u, which tops out at 1024x768 (non-HD.) People have offered good words about the Panasonic PT-L500, which does offer true HD, 16x9, et cetera.

Take a look over at www.projectorcentral.com and look around.

Leo Kerr
    [email protected]

3. Andrew_G

Andrew_G Agent

Thanks for your advice and information, Leo! Unfortunately, the wall is painted green, and my family would never approve of painting a portion of it white.

I was looking at this combination, if you're interested:

A screen from Hammer Imports: "16:9 Manual Wall Screen 52" X 92" 106" Diagonal" for 170 dollars
    A BenQ projector PB6100 for 900 dollars

I wasn't allowed to post the websites for some strange reason. I'm sorry... too many rules on this site.

I am a long-time audiophile but know close to nothing about video, so if these companies are like the Bose of video, I appologize [​IMG]

This ends up to be costing a little over 1000 dollars.

Your thoughts?

--Andrew

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

" too many rules on this site." Nope not to many rules! They are enforced so people can't sign up and troll the boards throwing up links to viruses and other things. I know you'll understand.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I use a Benq 6100 and find that for the price I am amazed with what I get. My Projector is about 12'6" away from my screen and with the projector at maximum zoom I can get an 85" diagonal image.

Although others may have different views I would look at getting the Zenith 318 DVD player. It adds an extra level of performance to the 6100.

You may also look want to look at a component switcher since you have soo many different things to input.

B

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

Done for good reason too.

Make your own screen for

6. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

I would second the idea of making your own screen and spending the vast majority of your budget on a projector. There is a great DIY screen section over on AVS forum with lots of information on recommended methods and materials. I have no construction skills whatsoever, but I think even I can swing something simple with $50 and a trip to either Home Depot or a fabric store.

As Neil said, the InFocus 4805 is getting very good reviews. Lots of people (myself included) are picking it up as their first projector. Most who have it seem to think it is a steal for the price ($1500 or less). I can't give you my impression yet since I won't get mine until tonight or tomorrow...

7. Daman

Daman Second Unit

i would second that for 4805, its my first projector as well and im very pleased with it.. i did have x1 for a couple of weeks but was bothered by the rainbows, havent been able to see any of them on 4805 even in movies like underworld.. i think its a real steal and a very nice first FP.[​IMG]