What's new

Best 1080p Projector for Sports? (1 Viewer)

Arjcm72

Agent
Real Name
Chris
I am looking for a Great all around projector. One that is good for a movies and sports. Out of all the new 1080p projectors any suggestions for which one is the best for watching sports? I am leaning towards the Panasonic 3000, but I was told that Sony is better for sports. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Arjcm72

Agent
Real Name
Chris
THe least amount of pixalization, blur, or digitalization.
I have been told that Sony has a softer picture, but that is better for viewing sports. It cuts out the blur of fast moving, action games.

Thank you,

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Panny 3000u has great reviews and so does the new Sony HW10. Some have said the Sony is better than the 3000U, however that is purely subjective. Worth a look nonetheless.

Lee Gallagher

Auditioning
Real Name
Lee
DLP will be your best bet for fast motion. Screen size/type needs to be factored into the equation, along with price point. Lots of choices once you set your budget.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
DLP would be great for sports as long as you don't need placement flexibility. (They have hardly any)
My Panny 3000 has exhibited zero motion blur during football games so far.

Lee Gallagher

Auditioning
Real Name
Lee
What do you mean by placement flexibility?
I would hope anyone that installs a projection system would tailor everything around the proper placement for the projector. Lens shift and zoom are helpful, but too much may cause optical errors such as chromatic abberations. Digital keystone correction, however, should never be used.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Lens shift and zoom are what I was referring too. Many of the DLPs don't have much zoom and lens shift capability so in theory, you would have limited placement flexibility, especially if ceiling mounting, i.e. fixed location.

Arjcm72

Agent
Real Name
Chris
I have no issue with placement. 22 ft room. I have read some issues with 120 mhz projectors. They have to have frame interpolation. Not sure I fully understand this, but sounds good in theory.
As far as budget, I just want the most bang for the buck. I have a 120" Elite high white screen, onkyo 806, polk lsi speakers, now just need a projector.
Should I wait until all the new ones are out to make my discission?

Lee Gallagher

Auditioning
Real Name
Lee
120hz processing generally doesn't work. More marketing fluff. If you're looking for bang for your buck, DLP is the way to go.
Lots of choices. Optoma, JKP Samsung, Panasonic, BenQ, Runco... all depends on your budget.

homevideo45

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amily Green
Yes I know that DLP is the way to go, and Optoma and Panasonic are good brands to get.

Arjcm72

Agent
Real Name
Chris
So which projector will do for a 120" screen and still have no blur or pixalization? My room is 22' long, so plenty of space for placement.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I believe the consensus here is "there is no one correct answer." DLP seems to be what is being recommended, but there are several options, even within that category.

I love watching football as well as movies, and my room dimensions and screen size are similar to yours. Because I was not going to ceiling-mount, [at least not initially] I did need placement flexibility. I ended up going with the Sanyo PLV-Z5, which is a 720P LCD model. I bought mine last year. This year, you might want to go with 1080P, although many sports programs are actually native 720P, and you could save some serious cash if you went that way. I have no complaints with sports or movies. If you are able to completely control the lighting of your room, and don't sit too close to the screen, my personal opinion is that LCD gives exactly what you want, more bang for the buck.

Good luck. Either way, you're going to have an awesome theater. There's just nothing like a big dedicated room with a great projector! As a matter of fact, I think I had better get down to my theater now.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks