What's new

Best $1000 Speakers (1 Viewer)

I'm looking for some opinions on the best pair of $1000 loudspeakers. I want them to be good for both stereo music and home theater. I'm thinking about replacing my M&K 750thx front speakers. Is this even worthwhile? I've looked at Epos, Norh, and Ellisaudio, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade these would be over what I have. I feel like I could be getting more out of my cd stereo playback. They'd be running through a B&K AVR 202. Any ideas would be appreciated.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
You have a full M&K 750 setup? If so, I wouldn't recommend just changing the fronts. You'll lose the timbre matching across the front. Maybe consider building a 2-ch only system if you have room for it?

Or upgrading all 5 speakers?

I'm not sure about a 5 channel upgrade. I truly feel like the 750THX setup is hard to match at, or around, its price point, but I might be wrong. I really can't imagine having a better 5.1 speaker set-up unless I spent way more money than I want to, but I do feel like for stereo playback the 2 front speakers aren't giving me all I want. Is the timbre matching really that big of a deal?

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I think the timbre matching would be a big deal if you didn't also upgrade your center to the same brand you would the fronts. Your front soundstage is where you would notice it most. Your rears would be fine as only ambient sounds are mostly sent there so detail is not a huge issue....unless you listen to SACD.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If what you are trying to improve is 2 channel music, then you might or might not(give your price range) appreciate the differences. I like M&K for home theater speakers alot but for music I don't and mainly because they are designed to be put with a subwoofer and I don't like a subwoofer for music.

A suggestion if you do change fronts is that you buy a matching center. A brand you haven't mentioned is Phase Tech. I'd give their Velocity series a go along with a center and see if you like that.

Most likely however you are better off saving more money and really upgrading the fronts/center at a later date when you can afford better speakers.

I thought it might help if I include what types of music I listen to. Electronica like Autechre, Kraftwerk, Coil. Heavy Metal like Metallica. Alternative like The Cure, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan. Old Altenative like Roxy Music, Brian Eno, David Bowie. Straight Rock like The Rolling Stones, Cracker. I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for is something detailed and accurate.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I thought you were talking about a system under 1K... your not going to get ribbons and such at that price but you can get a good ELT system at av123.com that is built by them and also sold by ACI and getting great reviews. Best bang for the buck at the moment anyway.

Yes, that's my thread. I started a new one to see if I could get some more action. By the way, I'd like to get floorstanding speakers. I'm tired of stands.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking without worrying about Timbre matching take out the tweeter and mid/bass device in the M&K and find out what make it is or show us a pic.I bet we could find another maunfacture that uses the same Drivers (tweeter for sure). Then matching it would be much easier

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks