1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best $1000 Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wernle, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Jason Wernle

Jason Wernle Auditioning

I am new to the forum and somewhat new to home theater so please forgive any gaffs.
    I have enjoyed my Pioneer VSX-D608 over the last 2 years but I am looking to upgrade. I am willing to spend up to ~$1000. I live in an apartment so my theater is not overly large (approx. 15' x 17'). The release of Episode I on DVD has increased my interest in the new surround formats (THX EX, DTS-ES and DTS-ES Discrete). I am not greatly in need of DPII as more and more of my satellite programming is moving toward DD.
    I originally looked at coupling a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX with a Pioneer Elite A-35-R (power amp for EX). A number of posts have made me alternatively consider the Denon 3801 or 3802.
    I am not in a rush so any new products being released over the next few months are fair game.
    I would appreciate any feedback on these or any other receivers that fit the bill. Thanks

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If any more products in that price category don't show up with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoding, then go with the Denon 3802.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

3. RodrigoF

RodrigoF Auditioning

The new Sony STR-DB1070 has discrete 6.1 channels. This is the model 2001 of the former Sony STR-DB940 and adds 6.1 channel decoding and component video switching... The price is between $600-$800...
    ------------------
    Rodrigo.

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

As far as I know, if the product doesn't have the "DTS-ES Extended Surround" logo on the front, it doesn't have real DTS-ES Discrete and ES Matrix on board (except for those few products like the Integra Research, and top of the line Onkyo receiver, and the TAG processor that can be upgraded via software to it).
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on August 08, 2001 at 10:35 AM]

5. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    The type of speakers you intend on using, play a major role in receiver selection. I would go out and listen to the following receivers.
    Onkyo 787
    Onkyo 797 (released in September)
    Denon 3801
    Denon 3802
    When I purchased my Onkyo 787, the only piece that came close, with my speaker configuration (Infinity Interlude series, just replace with B&W 603 and 602 s2) was the Denon 3801. The 797 includes DTS-ES, which sounds a lot better then, THX-SX or Dolby Digital EX, which is on the 787. I heard that Denon has added additional features to the 3802. I noticed you mentioned satellite, Direct TV, the Onkyo’s can switch HD signals (two in one out) with little resolution lost, the Denon do not switch HD signals at all. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Marshawn

6. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

Not true about the 3801 and 3802. They both have two component ins and one compenent out that work with 1080i.
    Brian

7. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

8. Scott Sargent

Scott Sargent Auditioning

I'm in about the same boat as Jason for a receiver. (Apartment dweller, sub $1000, etc) So far, the Denon's specifications look the best and reviews have been very good as well. I still need to take a listen to it.
    I wish there were clear cut answers for what is "best." [​IMG]

9. Alvin_L

Alvin_L Auditioning

I picked up a Denon 3802 last week. IMHO, go for the the 3802 with PL2 or pick up a discontinued 3801 at deep discount. You won't get better sound. BTW, I tried the Sony 333ES before the Denon. No comparison. The Sony had a better user interface, but the power stage was dirty and not well designed. Hope this helps.