What's new

Best 10" sub for movies only <$500 (1 Viewer)

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
I have been reading threads for the past few weeks about the subs in this category. Of course I have found lots of different opinions. My set up is a 23"x12" home theater room. Rarely if ever do we listen to music in this room. Thus, I am looking to upgrade my sub to get more umph from my DVDs. So far the contenders are:
1)HSU vtf 2
2)Adire Rava
3)Velodyne CT100
4)Paradigm PDR 10
What would your recommendations be for almost 100% movie watching?? Thanks for your input ;)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Why not save a ton of cash and use it to by DVD's etc. and invest in the Sony SA-WM40 12" sub?? It sounds fantastic when listening to DVD's as well as music if the need arised.
I too have a big room for my HT (see pix on my site) and the Sony handles things MORE than adequately.
It can be had for under $150 from the net, or use the net to have Sears price match, take the sub home for a trial run, and hear for yourself what I mean. Sears has a very lenient return policy if the sub doesn't fit your need (but I think it will :) )
The Sony is the underdog of the HT sub world, but it holds it own IMHO. Best bang for the buck many of us around here say. Give it a try!
Good luck!
Alfer

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Alf, I am currently using a Sony SA-WMS230 that came packaged with the Sony SA-VE230 sub/sat system. It's been a pretty decent entry level 5.1 system, and will eventually go in the bedroom. I have since moved and now have the bigger room and am looking to upgrade. The Sony SA-WMS230 is quite weak in my opinion and sometimes rattles at higher volumes or lower frequencies.

The price on the Sony SA-WM40 is definitely nice, but is it going to make as much of a difference in my set up as the others would?

Thanks for your input!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll bet the Adire Dharman would be a superior subwoofer and its a mild $500ish maybe $100 more.

Well worth it for such a high quality product IMHO.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Another vote for the VTF-2.

My friend has it and it's amazing!!!

For HT impact you could set it to maximum output (instead of max extension) and get some serious thump down to 30Hz.

My friend's is setup as max extension and there's plenty of bass left over, so we didn't even bother with max output.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I am currently using a Sony SA-WMS230 that came packaged with the Sony SA-VE230 sub/sat system...The price on the Sony SA-WM40 is definitely nice, but is it going to make as much of a difference in my set up as the others would?
Im sorry man but there is seriosly no comparison. The sub you have now is not a subwoofer (I used to own one too) it is a powered woofer at best. It has a 6 1/4" woofer. The SA-WM40 is a true subwoofer (may not be the best, but at least its in its proper category) with a 12" woofer and a decent cabinet size. If you feel like $500 is stretching your budget, but thought that is what you would have to spend to get a good sub, at least head out to best buy or sears (do they still carry this) and listen to the SA-WM40. Its a far cry better than the smaller HTB subs that sony packages with the sub/sat systems.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Has anyone demo'd or even owned both the Sony and the HSU?
Tommy, I own a Velo CT-120 (before that the CT-100) and I have demoed the Sony SA-WM40. IMO, the Sony is an excellent sub in it's price range but definitely not in the same league as the Velo CT-100 or CT-120.

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to hear the HSU VTF-2 but any time anyone is looking for opinions of

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Since your budget allows it, the sub to choose for HT is the Hsu VTF-2. The Rava is a great music sub and can be a great HT performer in a smaller room, but probably can't compete in the under-30Hz region with the Hsu. None of the others mentioned will approach the performance of it.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I had a velodyne ct-10 and returned it after two weeksssss. It was not bad but real boomy when turned up in music. I got a SVS 23-39 instead. It was a lot more but there is no comparison. I really do not think velodyne has anything in the price range of what I got that competes. I would think your best bet would be one of the following:

1. Buy a SVS if you have an amp or buy a SVS 25-31 and get a cheap amp to power it. I bet you could pick one up for under $100

2. Build a sonotube

3. Buy a Dharman

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think for $500, you could get a decent 12" sub that will give you much lower end than a 10" would.

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not exactly a decent carpenter, so I would prefer to buy a pre-made sub. Props to all of you who have built your own! Sounds like a lot of praise for the HSU...especially for my near 100% HT (non-music) use. Too bad the cabinet isn't as pretty as the Ravas...Is it really that ugly? Or do the pictures I've seen just not do it justice. I don't suppose it matters much as it will likely be off in a corner behind a piece of furniture...usually with the lights dimmed or off no less.

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
Tommy,
For HT, VTF-2 is no doubt a great value (jeffsoundvalues.com is now selling it for $425 delivered).
For more bada boom, if you can spend $600ish I'd recommend Adire Audio's Dharman (that is IF you can spend more)
EDIT: My first choice would be SVS Subs :) You can get a good deal on SVS Subs right now-keep a close watch on Hardware for Sale section here and you might get a CS Sub less than $400-all you need is an amp (which you can use an amp of a $100ish cheapo receiver)
Enjoy bass bliss :)
Cheers,
Kishore

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks